attachments with images

Old February 3rd 09, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ron cook

Default attachments with images

I have constructed a web page with music and picture files using Frontpage
and saved it as mhtml document. (The animation of the page is controlled
using javascript.) When sending the file as an attachment (in OE 6) the
picture files are 'lost' although the rest of the animation including the
music works OK. Full url's are used - "file:///C:/ etc " to reference the
images. Any ideas?
--
ron cook
Old February 3rd 09, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Just a WAG, but it sounds like you're sending a shortcut to the picture
files and not the pictures themselves. This is a little above my pay grade
though.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old February 3rd 09, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

If the music and graphic files on the page are embedded using files on your
computer, they won't be available to the recipient unless the recipient has
access to, e.g., your C:\ drive, which is highly unlikely.

This has nothing to do with OE.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old February 4th 09, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Open the file with Notepad and see if the images tags' srcs contain CIDs to
represent the images or are still referencing the file://c: etc designation.
If the latter, the images were not embedded into the mht file. Try saving
it from IE as an mht file instead of from Frontpage and see then if it has
the CIDs in the IMG src= parts.

steve

Old February 4th 09, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ron cook

Dear Steve
The sequence I followed is .....
1.compose in frontpage and save as web page (htm)
2.open in IE and save as single file MHTML
3.attach MHTML file to email (OE) and send to outbox
4.retrieve from outbox and open the attachment
After step4 the music plays but the image does not display. Interestingly
if I copy the HTML from the 'failed' opened attachment into frontpage, all
works fine. It appears that OE was unable to take the image with it when
sent to the outbox. You have identified a probable problem in that the cid's
never appear. I feel sure that they used to when doing similar things with
earlier versions of IE. I am not sure what to try to get these src's with
cid's. Any pointers appreciated.

Ron

--
ron cook

Old February 5th 09, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Try going to Tools | Options | Send | HTML Settings and make sure send
pictures with messages is checked. Also check the paths in Frontpage and
verify that they are the full paths to the images. I'm not sure why its not
embedded them. You need to save it as mht and not htm. That might be the
issue.

steve

Old February 6th 09, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ron cook

The settings are OK and the sound and image files paths defined by
file:///C:/ etc. The only way I know of creating a mht file is to first save
as htm from frontpage then open (in IE) and save as mht.
I have been creating (amateurish) mht’s that manipulate sound/image files
using javascript over a period of several years and sending them to friends
for amusement. So, I know things have worked in the past. At one time, it
was possible to achieve the same end by directly modifying the html of OE
source files but microsoft took away that capability (of using javascript
code in OE html) through one of their IE upgrades – I think it was from
version 5 to 6. It was much neater modifying the OE html but … that’s the
price of progress!
When version 7 of IE was introduced, I tried it, didn’t like it and reverted
to version 6. I think it was around that time that my attachments didn’t
work for friends. I put it down to ‘incompatibilities’ between my version 6
and their versions 7. Consequently, my enthusiasm for this kind of play
diminished. I have recently accepted the inevitable and moved to version 7
of IE and thought I would pick up production of these attachments once more.
You know the rest.
I am not sure what to do next, other than give up. However, as a matter of
interest, can you get embedding of a picture file inserted into frontpage and
then sent as an attached mht in OE. In other words, does it work for you?
regards ron cook

Old February 9th 09, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

I don't use FrontPage. It OE6 (there is no OE7), you can easily go to View
| Source Edit and then manipulate the HTML in the Source Window and then
preview it in OE. So I have seen no need to FP. You should recognize also
that in OE, the default setting is to put it into the restricted zone, which
will block all scripting, so any recipients of your scripted messages need
to put OE into the Internet zone so that the scripts will execute.

So, you might try editing in OE instead of FP.

steve

Old February 23rd 09, 12:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ron cook

Many thanks for latest. I have been laid low by some bug (biological) for
the past 10 days but will follow thru with your suggestion asap.
--
ron cook

Old February 23rd 09, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ron cook

Steve
Further to your latest reply, if I understand you correctly, you suggest
modifying directly the HTML of OE. I agree that works in that it will send
images OK but it won't run javascript. Sending the same HTML as a MHT
webpage attachment to OE will run the script but the pictures result as small
dancing squares, ie the src's don't attract proper cid's.
For now, I have given up on this approach as being unworkable nowadays
(thank you Microsoft) and have set up a little website containing my webpages
whose link(s) I send to the recipient in a normal emailing. Not as neat, in
my opinion, as being able to achieve the same end by modifying the HTML of OE
or sending as an attachment but 'mine is not to reason why ....'
Thanks a lot for your efforts.
--
ron cook

"ron cook" wrote in message
I have constructed a web page with music and picture files using
Frontpage
and saved it as mhtml document. (The animation of the page is
controlled
using javascript.) When sending the file as an attachment (in OE 6)
the
picture files are 'lost' although the rest of the animation
including
the
music works OK. Full url's are used - "file:///C:/ etc " to
reference
the
images. Any ideas?
--
ron cook

O.E. embeds images of attachments in the body of a note Gar H. Outlook Express 3 August 9th 07 11:16 PM
Outlook send embedded images as attachments M.C Outlook - General Queries 7 October 26th 06 02:56 PM
Stripped off attachments and in-line images Ben Hardy Outlook Express 6 June 25th 06 06:45 AM
.jpg images Joy Outlook Express 21 June 7th 06 02:19 AM
Trying to write a program that would collect images received as email attachments Vanessa Lee Outlook and VBA 3 February 20th 06 10:59 PM