Insert/Picture/Browse locks up my computer

Old March 4th 06, 02:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
MadameC8

Default Insert/Picture/Browse locks up my computer

I have Windows XP Pro, Svc Pack 2
IE 6.0, 1GB RAM. I have cable H/S connection but use my MSN
email address. My OE works fine, except for this: When I
insert/picture/browse/ and select My Pictures, the Pictures window comes up
(I can actually see some images) -- and then my entire system immediately
freezes up, I can't even reboot from the computer, I have to shut it off at
the power source and bring the system back up. My pictures folder is quite
full, total about 19 MB. I have no trouble inserting other things such as
file attachments, signatures, etc. ... just pictures. This was not a
problem when I used OE on my old computer, then I had Win XP HE and a
slightly different OE6.

I've done a temporary workaround by clicking on an individual .jpg or .gif
and sending it via regular mail; I can remove it as an attachment and use the
insert/picture function from within that mail window. (Did that make sense?)

I doubt this is relevant, but want to mention I have not installed MSN on my
new computer and will be changing my membership to using MSN email only as
soon as I feel comfortable.

Any ideas? I've checked all my settings and they seem to be right.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Old March 4th 06, 03:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Hi MadameC8,

Can a picture be inserted from another, smaller folder? If so, the image
files could be divided into sub-folders.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old March 4th 06, 07:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
MadameC8

No, that doesn't solve the problem, in fact the problem has worsened, now it
crashes as soon as I click on browser, which takes me to a folder I don't
even want to use to access pictures. What determines the default folder to
search pictures when clicking on browser? I should have specified earlier
that the message itself freezes along with the browser window; I can still
open other programs, such as IE. I was also able (for a brief time, see
below) to open the main OE window. So there appears to be sufficient RAM to
do other things.

An additional problem just happened -- I went to OE Help (while the message
and browser windows were still frozen), and all of OE crashed. I know that
SP 2 fixed the other bugs with inserting signatures and other things -- is
this yet another bug to be fixed?

I really don't know where to turn, I'm not sure software support (external
to MS) could help me, I might be wasting my moneyl

Old March 4th 06, 12:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Hi MadameC8,

Are the same problems present right after restarting Windows? I don't know
what might be causing the problem. You could try a repair/reinstall of
Outlook Express.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

A newsgroup for Windows XP would be a good place to seek answers for the
issue.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old March 4th 06, 09:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your HijackThis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert
analysis, not here.**

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old March 4th 06, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
MadameC8

Hi Tim,
I should have mentioned that my computer was installed last Wednesday and I
had this problem from the first day I used OE. I've checked to make sure
Windows XP Pro, Internet Explorer, and OE are the versions associated with
SP2. I have automatic updates every 24 hours. The problems persists even
after bringing WinXP back up.

Isn't OE actually part of Internet Explorer? I get skittish about messing
with repair/reinstall at this point. If I reinstall OE, wouldn't I lose
folder contents and addresses I had moved over from my old computer ? I also
have OE configured to receive my MSN email.

I will also take this to a Windows XP newsgroup as you suggested. Thank you.

Old March 4th 06, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

I should have mentioned that my computer was installed last Wednesday and
I had this problem from the first day I used OE.

Did you take care of /everything/ on the following webpage before otherwise
using the machine to surf or email?

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

Old March 5th 06, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
MadameC8

Well ... I actually included install/data transfer from my old machine in my
order for the computer, old machine was already hooked up with Comcast; tech
connected new one to Comcast, and I have no idea how he approached that.
Good question, though. But of course all parties are now saying it is a MS
problem (or buy a year's contract for software supp. techs via my computer
mfgr, I don't theeenk so). Install team say they are now out of the picture.
If worse comes to worse, I'll just do a work-around, I've spent way too much
time and energy on this already, I have another life, ha! Thanks so much for
your feedback and suggestions, I guess I needed to be dragged kicking and
screaming into a higher level of knowledge!

Old March 5th 06, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
MadameC8

O-Kayyyeee ... never heard of Hijackware, have even more to learn ... will I
ever "arrive"? Thanks again, I'll check into all this when I have more time.