bLOCKED senders list

Old February 9th 06, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JIMPAP

Default bLOCKED senders list

I have enter a site in the blocked sender's list. The problem is that e-mails
from this site are still going to the inbox folder instead of going to the
deleted folder.
Old February 9th 06, 09:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

If it's Spam, they constantly change their address so it's a waste of time.
Try a message rule instead.

Some Message Rule Ideas:
http://www.mindspring.com/~majik/messagerules.htm

Some tips:
http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm

Message Rules not working?:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/faqs/why.htm#rules
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old February 10th 06, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 13:16:31 -0800, JIMPAP wrote:

I have enter a site in the blocked sender's list. The problem is that e-mails
from this site are still going to the inbox folder instead of going to the
deleted folder.

I have never used the Blocked Sender list; I don't see how it can be used
against spam. While you can use a domain, such as, 'hinet.net', will it
block the third level? I.e., will it block 'msa.hinet.net', as well? Or
would I have to add an entry for each third level domain?

Then there is this: "MAIL FROM: ". That is an
entry in my MX server log. I could have blocked it by blocking the domain,
'yahoo.com', but then I would also be blocking
, which is not good becuase 'tsudohnimu' is a
legitimate AddressGuard base name for one of my @pacbell.net email
accounts; I would then be blocking email from myself, or any other user of
an @yahoo.com email address!

Basically, the Blocked Sender list allows you to block entire domains, such
as "comcast.net"; but that would make you unreachable to _anybody_ with an
@comcast.net email address. Or the Blocked Sender list allows you to block
individual senders, such as ; but you can bet
that the sender email address is a one-off spammer ID, and the next time he
will use another. You will run out of space in your Blocked Sender list
long before a spammer will run out of sender email addresses to use in
trying to reach your mailbox.

If you must use MS Outlook Express, the best option is some kind of
filtering application:

K9: http://keir.net/k9.html
POPFile: http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
Spambayes: http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/
Magic Mail Monitor: http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

The first three use Naive Bayesian statistical analysis. I have not
examined how the fourth one works. The first two for sure, and possibly the
second two, as well, are proxies; and as such, may be problematic when used
with MS Outlook Express.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old February 10th 06, 06:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Vanguard

"N. Miller" wrote in message
snip
K9: http://keir.net/k9.html
POPFile: http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
Spambayes: http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/
Magic Mail Monitor: http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

The first three use Naive Bayesian statistical analysis. I have not
examined how the fourth one works. The first two for sure, and possibly
the
second two, as well, are proxies; and as such, may be problematic when
used
with MS Outlook Express.

Note that PopFile, SpamBayes, and SpamPal are all projects housed over at
Sourceforge.net. Lots of good stuff over there, like PDFCreator to "print"
your doc to a PDF file, Eraser for secure wipe of files or partition space,
FileZilla for a GUI FTP client, YahooPOPs for POP3 access to freebie HTTP
Yahoo Mail accounts, and more. Be aware that using a Bayesian filter can up
the frequency of false positives until the filter is trained (and then,
after training, false positives are reduced but not eliminated). I don't
about the UI for SpamBayes, but SpamPal's tray icon lets you access the
good/bad list for the Bayesian filter so you can reclassify mails on-the-fly
(to mark false positives as good and false negatives as bad). SpamPal gives
you lots of other mechanisms in addition to Bayesian to detect spam. I
prefer Bayesian as the last catchbin for spam; i.e., only if other
mechanisms didn't detect the spam, hope the Bayesian filter catches it.

SpamBayes runs as an Outlook plug-in but can, if the user sets it up that
way, run as a proxy to which any POP3 client could connect. SpamPal runs as
a local proxy, too, and you connect your POP3/IMAP/SMTP compliant e-mail
client to it (and then SpamPal connects to your mail servers). SpamPal adds
tags either as a header or in the Subject header or both and you use a rule
in your e-mail client to handle the tagged spam mails. On deficiency in
SpamPal (don't know about SpamBayes) is that its proxy does not support SSL
so, for example, you cannot connect it directly to Gmail which demands SSL
for its connects. You can use sTunnel, another proxy, for SSL support, so
you connect your e-mail client to SpamPal which connects to sTunnel to
connect to your mail server. SpamPal is pretty easy to setup but sTunnel
can be a chore. K9 doesn't support SSL, either. I don't know about
SpamBayes (as a proxy and not using its Outlook plug-in) or PopFile but I
suspect they don't support SSL, either. I was surprised that SpamBayes
doesn't provide a forum. SpamPal's forum is active and monitored by the
authors.

Magic Mail Monitor isn't an anti-spam product at all. Like PopTray, it is a
mail monitor program. The advantage with those two monitors is that you can
define rules within those monitor programs. So, for example, if you were
using SpamPal to tag the spam mails, you could use rules in Magic or PopTray
to handle the spam, like deleting it off the server so you don't have to
waste time downloading and later deleting it using rules in your e-mail
client. Magic has a logfile option to let you see which messages were
deleted (at the server) by a rule. I add a shortcut in my QuickLaunch bar
so I can occasionally check if there was a false positive. However, that
logfile is for messages that have already been deleted. So in SpamPal, I
use its User Logfile plug-in to keep text-only copies of spam-tagged
e-mails. If I see the Magic logfile shows a false positive got deleted, I
can retrieve a text copy from SpamPal's User Logfile copy. That way, I use
Magic (through SpamPal) to exercise rules against my inbound mails so
[almost all of] the spam never shows up in my e-mail client but I have a
means of recovery in the case of a false positive.

I would actually prefer PopTray over Magic because you can use regular
expressions in its rules, and that means you could specify exactly which
header in which to look for a string and just where within the header to
find the string. Not many users know what are regular expressions but it
doesn't take long to figure them out. However, PopTray's preview of an
e-mail shows only a few of the headers, like To, From, Date, and Subject but
I want to see them all. Magic lets me see all the raw data of a message
(both the header and body sections). PopTray supposedly can render
HTML-formatted e-mails so you get a prettier view whereas Magic just shows
the raw data of the message (so it can be hard with sloppy HTML coders to
read the message). Magic only gives you 2 clauses within a rule whereas you
get a table of clauses you can use in PopTray, but I've not yet needed more
than 2 clauses.

Magic and PopTray come in handy if, for example, your e-mail provider
doesn't let you define server-side rules. My ISP (Comcast) doesn't so all
mails have to be processed using client-side rules, but using Magic or
PopTray approximates the advantage of server-side rules. I've never found
Outlook to be a stable program unless using Exchange; for POP3, I regularly
get the bogus prompt to enter login credentials when the real problem was a
momentary problem in establishing a mail session (Outlook has no option to
ignore mail session errors, to not show them, and just hope the next mail
poll works okay). While Outlook Express has the clause to delete from
server, Outlook must download all mails before it even starts exercising its
rules against them (you can configure it to download only headers but it is
a pain to then have to mark the mails to download and then also manually
perform the download of marked items).

PopTray can show a popup alert in the lower right corner (over the tray
area) but not Magic. Both have can animate their tray icon to show you have
new mail. Both can let you preview the new mail without having to open your
big e-mail client program, and both will connect to your e-mail program if
you want to use it, say, to reply to mail or create a new message. I would
switch to PopTray except for its lack to let me see ALL of the headers in a
mail. In can test in a rule on any header (actually any string in the
header section, or in the body, too, if you option to download the body
which is mostly a waste of time if using something like SpamPal to identify
spam). Magic has become somewhat stagnant (i.e., the current owner that
took over the project has done little with it). The PopTray author makes
changes but released versions are about a year apart.

Magic Mail Monitor (mmm3.sourceforge.net) and PopTray
(www.sourceforge.net/projects/poptray) are mail monitors. They are not
anti-spam solutions. But you can run them through SpamPal (and SpamBayes
but which is ONLY a Bayesian filter) to identify spam and use their rules to
handle it so you never see it in that mail monitor's message list and you
can delete it so it won't show up in your e-mail client. But you will need
to use something ELSE than these mail monitors. Mailwasher is another mail
monitor but combines blocklists (for which they never donate to the
blocklists although they sell a commercial version that uses those
blocklists), as does SpamPal, to tag spam mails. A user claimed that buried
in Mailwasher's menus is an option to delete-from-sever the spam-tagged
mails so it isn't left as a manual operation for the user to click a button
to get rid of them from the message list. I'd rather not waste my time to
even see the spam mails in the list. Do NOT enable the bounceback option in
Mailwasher (you aren't fooling anyone with your bogus non-delivery reports
generated at your client rather than from the mail server which, if properly
configured, does the reject during the mail session rather than later send a
*new* mail back as an NDR report). Mailer trojans on infected hosts aren't
listening for NDRs coming back to it, it causes backscatter, and the NDRs
will get received, if at all, by innocents whose e-mail address was used by
the spammer.

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

Old February 13th 06, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

I am very pleased with Spambully for Outlook Express
http://www.spambully.com/
It offers a Trial version but I purchased it for $29.95.

Old February 13th 06, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

AFLAC! Backup, backup, backup!