Windows OneCare Beta) Back-up

Old February 7th 06, 08:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
BoaterDave

Default Windows OneCare Beta) Back-up

Hi!

"Computing" is my winter hobby. I've recently been using OneCare (beta) and
so far it seems wonderful! Two days ago, after carrying out a
re-installation of Windows XP, SP2 and all updates - I then used my Back-Up
disk (OneCare) to re-install my previous data. Everything happened as hoped
......... but when resurrecting my email messages I encountered a small
problem.

The basic Folders (Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items etc) were recovered, along with
all messages therein. However, all of the personal folders (Friends, Family,
Shopping etc) which I'd created are missing (along with their contents).

There is a wealth of information within this Newsgroup, much of which I have
reviewed, but I have seen no mention of Windows OneCare. I do not wish to
spend money on programmes to recover these "lost" folders/messages as they
are not important in a commercial sense, but I would be most grateful for an
indication of how best to try to find the missing items. Can you (the
reader) help me?

David B.

Old February 7th 06, 12:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Noel Paton

You need to Import the data into your current Identity in OE - the messages
and file-structure will be rebuilt

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Old February 7th 06, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

As Noel as pointed out that you will have to import them and to add to that,
you will also have to copy them to the hard drive, remove any read only
attribute (right click on the file then Properties) then import. OE will not
read from a CD or other removable drive.

When you reinstalled Windows, it created a new {USER_ID} in the registry.
This one is tied to the new message stores while the old one from the back
up was a different {USER_ID} and it may well copy them to the proper folder,
OE will not use them as you have found out.

1) Create a temporary folder such as C:\Mail
2) Copy the DBX files from the old message stores to the C:\Mail folder.
3) CTRL A to highlight them, then right click and select Properties. Make
sure the Read Only check box is NOT checked. Click OK.
4) From OE, File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6. Press
NEXT
5) Select "Import mail from an OE6 store directory". Press OK
6) Press the BROWSE button and navigate to the C:\Mail folder and click on
it to highlightit then press OK
7) Finish up the import.

OE will not import newsgroups or messages. Any subscribed or downloaded will
have to be redone.

You can copy the Address Book as well to the hard drive, then use File |
Import | Address Book and import those.

Old February 8th 06, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
BoaterDave

Hi.

My thanks to both Noel Paton and Dave Guess for their advice. I have,
indeed, been able to recover my messages,

In fact, I now have duplicate/triplicate/more entries! Is there a simple way
to weed a folder to leave just one message instead of 2,3 or 4? If so, I'd
appreciate advice.

Lastly, although my messages were retrieved in Inbox and Sent items, my own
folders (and their contents) have not been discovered. Any further
suggestions will be most welcome!

David B.

Old February 9th 06, 04:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

You can remove the duplicates (or triplicates) manually, or download OEX
(not free) from this link:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEX/Default.aspx

OEX has several other uses, so you might want to read about it.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old February 9th 06, 10:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

[...]

If you don't want to buy a message recovery program (and at this point only
DBXpress has a chance of working), then the messages are lost and
irrecoverable.

And without a 3rd party program, you are stuck with the duplicates, unless
you wish to sit there and manually delete them.

steve