Computer crashed, but can't open retoeved OE files

Old January 25th 08, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
CAnn

Default Computer crashed, but can't open retoeved OE files

Hello,
I don't know if what I am asking is possible...but to make a long (and sad)
story short, my C drive crashed and try as I may, I was forced to use my
recovery disk and reformat my computer to factory conditions (1994). I lost
everything...a lot of which I did not have backed up bcuz I hadn't gotten
around to it!! (a lesson learned the hard way). I never thought of backing
up e-mails. I ran a file recovery program and was able to retrieve my
inbox.dbx and sent items.dbx folders. I can not open them or get my messages
from them. When I set up my computer with OE, I noted that the assigned
identity {numbers} were not the same as my old one. I tried renaming to make
it match to see if that would allow me to open but nothing. I tried to
import the folder..nothing. I tried the coping and pasting (replacing) the
new folder with my original and when I open it it shows nothing ..no
messages. Is there a way to restore my messages. I've seached the internet
and was unable to find anything and then I noticed this site on my OE..so I
am hoping...
Thanks for any advice
Charlotte

Old January 25th 08, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

They may be empty, but............

How to restore individual dbx files:
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Backup & Resto
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

This is a great two click program: