This MI5 guy and message rules

Old January 1st 08, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
FredP

Default This MI5 guy and message rules

Tried creating a rule using words in OE to parse him out.. Problem is since
he uses different ways of including M I 5 that add commas, blanks, dashes
etc. I just want to parse on the letters M I and 5. Is there a way to do
letter/number and have an 'and' so it covers all three? I reralize there
could be legit appends that include these 3 and so I would miss them. Thats
OK.
TIA _Fred

Old January 1st 08, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You can create a Subject rule and add M & I & 5 one at a time, but any
message containing those letters or number in the subject field will also be
deleted. Not really much you can do effectively but keep deleting the posts.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old January 1st 08, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
FredP

Yep... I know I could lose legit messages. For some reason or another this
nut case got to me this time with his hit and run apends to god knows how
many news groups.
_Fred

Old January 2nd 08, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Carey N.

Do you happen to know if there is a limit on how many words or phrases can
be used in one rule in OE? I'm trying to keep these MI5 messages to a dull
roar, as well.
TIA.
--
Carey in MA

Old January 2nd 08, 02:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Blocked Senders and Message Rules combined, you can have a total of 4,096
entries, (words, addresses etc.) total. If all you have is one rule and
nothing else, then you can have 4,096 entries in that rule.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old January 2nd 08, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Carey N.

Now I know this question may be absolute overkill, but any limitation on the
length of those entries, or total letters/characters involved? Just
curious.
Thanks again.
--
Carey in MA

Old January 2nd 08, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Not to my knowledge. Eg: A rule with this: *Now I know this question may be
absolute overkill* would be considered one entry.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old January 2nd 08, 02:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Carey N.

Thanks very much, Bruce. It's nice to know there is someone & someplace to
go to with questions of this nature. Your help and knowledge is greatly
appreciated. Have a wonderful 2008.
--
Carey in MA

Old January 2nd 08, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You're welcome.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old January 2nd 08, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
VanguardLH

"FredP" wrote in message news:QKvej.9266$cq5.8764@trndny06...
Tried creating a rule using words in OE to parse him out.. Problem
is since he uses different ways of including M I 5 that add commas,
blanks, dashes etc. I just want to parse on the letters M I and 5.
Is there a way to do letter/number and have an 'and' so it covers
all three? I reralize there could be legit appends that include
these 3 and so I would miss them. Thats

Apply this rule after the message arrives
Where the Subject line contains 'm' and 'i' and '5' and 'p' and 'e'
and 'r' and 's' and 'c' and 'u' and 't' and 'o' and 'n'
Highlight it with Silver
and Mark it as read
and Stop processing more rules

However, and true to OE, sometimes OE does *not* use ALL "words"
(which here are characters) when deciding to trigger the rule. For
example, why would this rule trigger on a post with a string in the
Subject of:

" my ISP is blocking port 25 what to do?"

which would trigger on the character operands (in brackets but only
for 1 instance of each character):

"[R][e]: [m]my [i][S][P] is bl[o][c]ki[n]g por[t] 2[5] what to do?"

since there is no "u" character anywhere in that string? Only 11 of
the 12 characters specified in the rule are in the Subject header.
The rule should NOT have triggered on the post with this string in the
Subject header. I know this rule is firing because it is the only one
that uses Silver (to make those posts look dim and more easily
ignored) and has the stop clause, too. I'll to watch as I go forward
in the newsgroups since there is the possibility that a prior version
of this rule might've already colored this post and didn't have as
many operands.

Because of this screwup in Microsoft's rules in OE, and also because
of the possibility of false positives, like for a Subject of:

"outlook is opening in 45 seconds; what's the problem"

which would trigger on the character operands (in brackets but only
for 1 instance of each character):

"[o][u][t]look [i][s] o[p][e][n]ing in 4[5] se[c]onds; what's the
p[r]oble[m]"

which does have all 12 characters specified in the rule, I decided not
to delete the post but just make it not so noticeable. Although the
rule doesn't guarantee that just MI5 sporge gets identified, it also
doesn't trigger on a vast majority of the posts - but it sure would be
nice if OE's rules actually worked 100% of the time. It's like if
there are too many ORs or ANDs then OE decides that there are too many
and so it neglects some of the clauses.

Since the MI5 sporge that I've seen so far has "censorship" and
"harassment" in the Subject, I might add "AND 'h'" to the conditional.

message rules sheila 2 Outlook Express 12 April 28th 07 11:27 AM
Message Rules leadpipe Outlook Express 1 November 24th 06 02:46 PM
message rules before the message arrives An Ony Outlook - General Queries 3 October 31st 06 11:00 AM
Message Rules Willy Outlook Express 17 June 7th 06 05:02 AM