Duplicate incoming emails on second identity (account)

Old January 22nd 06, 02:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
HoraceM

Default Duplicate incoming emails on second identity (account)

After setting up an additional account for my wife, and encountering a lot of
problems on the way, mostly it appears through McAfee AV software, now when
an email is sent to us both, my account gets one delivery but my wife
receives two. I have just sent a test email from each of the account to each
of the accounts and the duplication happened both times on my wife screen,
any thoughts, please?

Old January 22nd 06, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I don't know if it is a fault of McAfee, or not, but I would never use a
McAfee or Norton product. They both cause problems with OE.

See if this applies to your problem.

Duplicate messages.

For Hotmail, or IMAP accounts:

ToolsOptionsGeneral tab. Uncheck either: When starting, go directly to my
Inbox folder or, Send and receive messages at startup.

For a POP3 account, see:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#pop3uidl

As for an A/V program:

I would recommend AVG Free:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
or:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/ww

When prompted, choose Custom Installation and *uncheck* e-mail scanning when
you see the option.

Free and better that the *Brand Name* programs.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old January 22nd 06, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"HoraceM" wrote in message

After setting up an additional account for my wife, and encountering
a lot of problems on the way, mostly it appears through McAfee AV
software, now when an email is sent to us both, my account gets one
delivery but my wife receives two. I have just sent a test email from
each of the account to each of the accounts and the duplication
happened both times on my wife screen, any thoughts, please?

Remove your account from your wife's identity.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old January 22nd 06, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
HoraceM

Bruce, Thanks for that - I have located the Pop3uidl.dbx files - there are
two of them dated today about 6 hours apart. Is it OK to delete them both,
please? HoraceM

Old January 22nd 06, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Yes. Make sure OE is closed first.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old January 22nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"HoraceM" wrote in message

After setting up an additional account for my wife, and encountering
a lot of problems on the way, mostly it appears through McAfee AV
software, now when an email is sent to us both, my account gets one
delivery but my wife receives two. I have just sent a test email
from each of the account to each of the accounts and the duplication
happened both times on my wife screen, any thoughts, please?

Remove your account from your wife's identity.

Then I absolutely do not understand the question. Are you confusing OE
identities and email accounts?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
"Anyone who prefers security over freedom deserves neither."

Old January 27th 06, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
HoraceM

Bruce, I removed McAfee and installed the grisoft, also on the "insideOE.com/
problems etc... it said to find and delete the file(s) "pop3uidl.dbx" - I
have done this several times, but each time after switching my m/c back on my
wife's account receives two copies of any emails there, although mine is OK
p.s. I didn't understand what Frank Saunders meant by his reply.
HoraceM

Old January 27th 06, 07:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I assume then that it is a Pop3 account and not a Hotmail or IMAP?

What Frank is asking, and now I have to know is how you set this up. Do you
each have separate e-mail addresses? Or is it just a second identity with
the same e-mail address?

Either way, do you share the same instance of OE and its folders? Or do you
switch identities and have your own folders?

Please elaborate exactly how you set it up. Was it File | Identities | Add
new identity, or Tools | Accounts | Add, etc. All the info you can think of
will be helpful.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express