Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Old November 29th 07, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
pc.builder98

Default Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Best practices:

Stop using Internet Exporer. Find another browser. If you want to experiment
with a free browser that needs no install then try Off By One:
http://www.OffByOne.com This is THE fastest browser on earth. It doesn't do
everything but many times you don't need everything.

Use a HOSTS file and keep it up to date. Learn how he
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

Stop using Outlook or Outlook Express. Find another email client. If you
must use these email clients then send and receive in plain text only and
turn off the preview pane. Never open email unless the subject line is
relevant and compelling to you NEVER! Unless you specifically request
someone to send you an attachment then do not open attachments NEVER!

Stop downloading, running or installing things you do not absolutely need.
If you do download scan it he http://www.virustotal.com/ or he
http://virusscan.jotti.org/ before you install or run.

Consider the possibility that every time you buy or use a Microsoft product
you are making yourself a little less safe, your life more complicated and
the world a little worse off. Consider buying, using other alternatives.

This is better advice than you will ever receive from Microsoft or from many
support people.
--
pcbuilder98

Old November 29th 07, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Poprivet`

pc.builder98 wrote:
Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Best practices:

Wow, what an ego and most likely a closed mind. It's
far from "best" practices and the "in the world"
statements are almost funny if they weren't just
blatant attempts at hyping.

Old November 29th 07, 07:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
pc.builder98

"PA Bear" wrote in message

No browser is 100% safe!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

pc.builder98 wrote:
Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Where did I say 100% safe?

Old November 29th 07, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
pc.builder98

"Poprivet`" wrote in message
pc.builder98 wrote:
Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Best practices:

Wow, what an ego and most likely a closed mind. It's
far from "best" practices and the "in the world"
statements are almost funny if they weren't just
blatant attempts at hyping.

If I tone it down to this is it OK:

Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Good practices:

Stop using Internet Exporer. Find another browser. If you want to experiment
with a free browser that needs no install then try Off By One:
http://www.OffByOne.com This is likely the fastest browser you will ever
try. It doesn't do everything but many times you don't need everything.

Old November 29th 07, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
pc.builder98

"PA Bear" wrote in message
X-post to OE6 NG deleted.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Too late it's in Google:

Old November 30th 07, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Poprivet`

pc.builder98 wrote:
"Poprivet`" wrote in
message
pc.builder98 wrote:
Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Best practices:

Wow, what an ego and most likely a closed mind.
It's
far from "best" practices and the "in the world"
statements are almost funny if they weren't just
blatant attempts at hyping.

If I tone it down to this is it OK:

Hmm, not really, for the most part. I am glad you
aren't -openly- spamming though. But what I do still
mind is your recommendations for unverified URLs with
no reputations for competence of any kind but with lots
of spam references in their past and current histories.
If I were you, I'd distance myself from these places
and move on to more reputable sources for your
applications. Unless of course, this was actually a
spam, in which case ... well, you know that drill.

Spyware and Malware defensive techniques.

Good practices:

Stop using Internet Exporer.

Unnecessary, confusing to newbies and no good reasons
to do so, especially since they cleaned up the
defaults. Users won't like others because of the
limitations if they know the limitations, which they
will eventually learn anyway, and in no way addresses
the real problem: Education.

Find another browser.

See above

One: http://www.OffByOne.com This is likely the
fastest browser you
will ever try. It doesn't do everything but many
times you don't need
everything.

One of several available that I know of. Not having
ever heard of this one, I'm loathe to do the research
it would require bothering with to determine whether it
was even a safe download let alone functional enough to
be useful. Same for the other mentions.
It's rather trivial to write a text-only browser
using an API and a few supporting lines of code these
days. OTOH since I know what I want; I don't want the
attendant limitations period.
They CAN be useful though if one uses them thru a
proxy - and never wants to render anything graphical,
if they're sourced from reputable sources. I
occasionally use them a couple of them in my spam
fighting efforts when I need to verify something about
a spamvertised site or even the spammer's site itself.

Use a HOSTS file and keep it up to date. Learn how
he
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

Now that is outstanding advice, IFF it's coupled with
the knowledge of how to keep it from slowing a system
down. MVPS fortunately provides same, IFF a reader
will read, which all too many don't and end up with
silly questions about even the MVPS version with its
excellent documentation. No, I am not an MVP.

Stop using Outlook or Outlook Express. Find another
email client.

You said that already.

If
you must use these email clients then send and
receive in plain text
only and turn off the preview pane.

OK.

Better yet, learn how to use what you have. Burying
one's self in 3rd party crapps and rumors is useless.
Education again is the key.

Never open email unless the
subject line is relevant and compelling to you NEVER!
Unless you
specifically request someone to send you an
attachment then do not
open attachments NEVER!

Most newbies and lots of longtime users find the
phishing schemes and porn adds pretty compelling to
them and also relevant when it's a phish about their
own bank. The Subject line isn't the most important
data: The From line AND the Subject, and whether or
not you might expect that person to send you an e-mail
are much better to judge things on. About 99.999% of
cold contacts are spam, the rest just junk.

Stop downloading, running or installing things you do
not absolutely
need.

Good, though I don't know that the need has to be
"absolute". It's more important to "know who" you're
downloading from and whether or not they have a decent
rep. Education again. And a little research. I don't
"need" all of the applications I have and could do
without some of them if I had to. But I don't have to,
and I don't do without them. I do however know where
they came from and the rep of the place they came from
in all but one, which I researched first and ended up
quite happy with. That little app was WinPatrol.

If you do download scan it he
http://www.virustotal.com/ or
he http://virusscan.jotti.org/ before you install
or run.

Nonsense. I'd scan it right here on my machine as it
arrives at my incoming port, before it hits my hard
drive. I use relevant, reliable and up to date
applications to do so. Eductation again, not taking
the advice of some unknown entity.
I'd never go to unknown URLs to check anything in
that way but apparenlty, even though I should never
read an e-mail, you say it's OK to go to sites I've
never heard of because they were recommended by someone
I've never heard of. Even if it had a decent rep like,
say, Yahoo, realize that Yahoo allows spyware through
their malware detectors AND virus detection, on purpose
which other scanners do not. I'm talking specifically
about GAIN and its repertoire here, but that's not the
only one.
Scanning just for viruses is completely
unacceptable. Spyware and malware are a must to keep
track of and off your machine. Some viruses can even
be "invited" to come in as a result of spyware on your
machine. Nothing should e ver be allowed to run
covertly on a machine; never. It needs to ask for
permission or it doesn't run. And that's where
education comes in again.

Consider the possibility that every time you buy or
use a Microsoft
product you are making yourself a little less safe,
your life more
complicated and the world a little worse off.
Consider buying, using
other alternatives.

Not half as unsafe as I'd feel taking your advice and
using any of those new to me, unknown URLs and what
they might or might not deliver in the form of viruses,
spyware and malware.

This is better advice than you will ever receive from
Microsoft or
from many support people.

I take it you include your MVPS HOSTS file
recommendation in that too, since you include
"support".
No, actually, if you can read, you'll find
Microsoft' advice very good and very useful for
avoiding viruses and malware. Their information is
much more inclusive than yours here, doesn't insist on
single points for such protection, and makes several
recommendations about how to manage the computer
systems.
I'm not necessarily in love with MS but I will admit
that they document everything well and without
misinformation. Their information can be verified if
one wishes to, and is very consistant.

Now, if the following list of lookups on your
information isn't interesting from a white/black hat
color, I don't know what is:

Parsing input: 4.124.52.30
Routing details for 4.124.52.30
De-referencing
abuse net level3.net =
,

Report routing for 4.124.52.30:
,

redirects to

Parsing input:
www.OffByOne.com
Routing details for 74.208.48.100
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 74.208.48.100 :

Using abuse net on

abuse net 1and1.com =
,
Using best contacts

Routing details for 74.53.201.162
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 74.53.201.162 :

Using abuse net on

abuse net theplanet.com =

Using best contacts

Parsing input: virusscan.jotti.org
Routing details for 209.160.65.87
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 209.160.65.87 :

Using abuse net on

abuse net hopone.net =

Using best contacts

Parsing input: jotti.org
Routing details for 24.132.142.63
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 24.132.142.63 :

Using abuse net on

abuse net chello.at =
,

Using best contacts

while a lookup reports:
Reporting addresses:

Except for this last entry, each of those are known to
be friendly to spammers and to have anything but white
hats. That last one, being .at, would never get
through to me anyway; it'd be blocked and forced to ask
permission; which it wouldn't get. Again, it's all
about education.

So if you really want to provide some great
information, begin educating the masses instead of
sending people to god know what content at the URLs you
give.

Cheers

Old November 30th 07, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Rob ^_^

Hi,

I think Safari claims the mantle of the "fastest" browser, but anything
stripped down to a bare-bones is bound to out-perform an Addon bloated
browser.

Regards.

Old November 30th 07, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Rob ^_^

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed it. Any claims of speed performance are lost
on this browser. It has no Address bar or Favorites or links list. Any
rendering speed gains are lost with usability issues. By the time you have
opened the Open web dialog, typed in a fully qualified url (no autocomplete)
and then pressed Ok (no enter key activation on the web site drop-down),
other browsers would have completed the download and rendering.
Just goes to show how the fable of the Hare and the Tortise has real world
advice. The fastest may not necessarily win the race.

Old November 30th 07, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Bruce Hagen

From pcbuilder98's message headers:

It appears that he is running Windows XP with SP1, (circa 2003 version).

I would never claim that Outlook Express or Internet Explorer are the best
e-mail client and browser, (far from it). Nor would I disagree with someone
that preferred to use different ones. I am only involved with newsgroups to
help people with MS issues, not to tout MS products. But for someone to be
so concerned with security, I find it amusing that he is lacking in about
four years of updates. This version of IE/OE surely is a less secure version
than it could be.

What's that about taking advice "with a grain of salt"?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old December 2nd 07, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
pc.builder.98

"Rob ^_^" wrote in message
[...]

Any claims that you gave the browser a fair trial are false. Favorites are
easily accessible. In the menubar click the seventh button from the right to
view, select and visit any of your saved Favorites in your Favorites folder.
Click the sixth button from the right to add the current web page you are
visiting to your Favorites.

You are correct. It is necessary to click the second button from the left to
enter the web site address then press Return or click OK but since all your
Favorites are easily available how often do you need to type in an address?
YMMV and likely will.

Try any browser you like. All of them are safer and more secure than
Internet Explorer and some are faster too.
--
pcbuilder98