REAL Media (.ram) FILES not listed for BACKGROUND SOUNDS

Old January 17th 06, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meadow

Default REAL Media (.ram) FILES not listed for BACKGROUND SOUNDS

Hullo - hope someone can help with this frustrating problem!

I've tried searching everywhere but can find no mention of it - There are
supposed to be THREE types of files supported by OE for Background Sounds in
emails, i.e. "Audio", "Midi" and "Real Media" (.ram etc), BUT when I click on
"Browse" to choose a sound file, ONLY the FIRST 2 TYPES are shown.

I just re-downloaded IE 6 with OE 6 to make sure everything was up-to-date.
Can anyone suggest what the problem is??

Thankyou!
Old January 17th 06, 10:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Real audio files cannot be sent as a background sound in Outlook Express.
They must be uploaded to a website and streamed from it using the Active
Movie Control. And the major problem with using an .ra or .ram file is
that the recipient must have the Real Player installed on their computer and
many people refuse to install such an intrusive program.

You'll get help with streaming music files (wma, asf, ra, etc.) in one of
the stationery newsgroups.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old January 18th 06, 07:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meadow

Thankyou for this - but why does it say on this Microsoft support webpage
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=261720) that Real Media files ARE
included??

Quote: "The following table lists the file formats that Outlook Express
supports for background sound.

Audio files .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff
MIDI files .mid, .rmi
Real Media files .ra, .rm, .ram, .rmm "

Can't understand this!!
Meadow

Old January 18th 06, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

That information is sadly outdated and no longer applicable. It may get
changed in the future, but there are many other priorities for the
development team to be taking right now.

Old January 18th 06, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meadow

Thanks to everyone for the replies - does that mean About.com is out of date
as well - they have the same info on this webpage:
http://email.about.com/cs/oetipstricks/qt/et051803.htm

Old January 19th 06, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

I suspect that they copied the information from the Microsoft article.

I played around a little with this today. I managed to get an RM file
specified, but it wouldn't play. Replacing it with a WAV file worked.

Old January 19th 06, 11:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meadow

Thanks Michael - yes, I suspected they may have copied that info!

I have a question - do you mean you were able to convert a RAM file into a
WAV file in order to make it work in OE? If so, can I convert my RAM files
somehow (I cant obtaion them in any other format unless I buy a CD or
something)

Old January 19th 06, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

"Meadow" wrote in message
Thanks Michael - yes, I suspected they may have copied that info!

I have a question - do you mean you were able to convert a RAM file into a
WAV file in order to make it work in OE? If so, can I convert my RAM files
somehow (I cant obtaion them in any other format unless I buy a CD or
something)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=convert+.ra+to.wav

http://nch.com.au/switch/index.html I think is one a friend of mine used to
convert some files to .wav.