Email Messages Disappearing After Sending With Outlook Express

Old November 18th 07, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Tyger

Default Email Messages Disappearing After Sending With Outlook Express

Hi, The other day I typed a reply to an email from a friend of mine. I sent
her 2 email messages. Both of them disappeared from my sent folder right
after they were sent. I was using outlook express at the time, configured for
windows live hotmail, to access my webtv address from my computer. I have
used it dozens of times this way without incident, but this time, 2 messages
just vanished into thin air after sending them. My friend did receive them
both. I got her read receipts. But I like to save my sent messages in case
they are not received. Then I can resend them. So I was very disturbed when I
went to the sent folder on the hotmail server and found them both gone. They
disappeared right in front of my eyes, almost as if someone took them right
out of my box. I'm downloading and sending the mail through the outlook
express http server option using hotmail. So after they leave the outbox,
they are supposed to save to the hotmail server. They don't appear in the
outlook express saved folder, but go to the hotmail sent folder. Why would
they disappear and how can this be fixed? Does the upgrade to windows live
have something to do with the fact that my messages disappeared? I always opt
to save them. I contacted hotmail first about this issue and they said they
could not help me and referred me to you.
Old November 18th 07, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Just to be clear, this is the Outlook Express Sent Items folder? While in
Sent Items: View | Current View. Make sure Show All Messages is checked and
nothing else.

If still no joy, Sent Items is probably corrupt. Move any messages you want
to save to a user created folder and then delete Sent Items.dbx.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in question {Sent
Items.dbx} and delete it. A new one will be created automatically when you
open OE.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB):
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express