Single v.s. double-spacing in OE 6

« news groups | WAB »

Old January 17th 06, 07:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
don

Default Single v.s. double-spacing in OE 6

I've noticed that when using HTML, you only get single-spacing when you
wrap-around. But when you want to move down a line by hitting enter, you
automatically get a double-space. Also, when you paste something in from
Word ('97) (using HTML), you automatically get double-spacing.

I realize that if you work in the plain text format, this is not a problem;
but is there any way to set OE 6 to automatically get single-spacing when you
hit "enter" and are using the HTML format?
--
Thanks, Don
Old January 17th 06, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Could you post some HTML text that shows what you are talking about?

Are you composing the HTML in Word?
If you compose HTML in OE, Enter does not doublespace.
--
Ron Sommer

Old January 18th 06, 12:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

If you use Shift-Enter in Word and then paste into OE, it will be a single
BR and not a P which results in OE translating it as a double line
break.

If you paste from Word and then type into that, I think you also have to use
Shift-Enter in OE.

steve

Old January 18th 06, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Robert Aldwinckle

"Don" wrote in message
I've noticed that when using HTML, you only get single-spacing when you
wrap-around. But when you want to move down a line by hitting enter, you
automatically get a double-space. Also, when you paste something in from
Word ('97) (using HTML), you automatically get double-spacing.

Try pasting it to Notepad and then copying it from Notepad to paste in OE?

I realize that if you work in the plain text format, this is not a problem;
but is there any way to set OE 6 to automatically get single-spacing when you
hit "enter" and are using the HTML format?

Press Shift-Enter when you want just a line end and not a new paragraph.

--
Thanks, Don

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Old January 18th 06, 05:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
don

Many thanks for your suggestions and explanations.
--
Cheers, Don

"Bob" wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:10:51 -0500, "Robert Aldwinckle"
wrote:

I realize that if you work in the plain text format, this is not a problem;
but is there any way to set OE 6 to automatically get single-spacing when you
hit "enter" and are using the HTML format?

It's an HTML issue. Return in OE generally gives an HTML paragraph
break. You can alter the paragraph spacing use CSS code. Click on the
"source" tab at the bottom of the Create Message window and you will
see a section of HTML code that looks something like this near the top
of the message:

--------existing --------------
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD

--------existing --------------
Change the style section (only) to look like this:
STYLE
!--
p {text-indent: 10; line-height: 200%; margin-left: 10; margin-top: 3;
margin-bottom: 3 }
--
/STYLE

--------------------------

The "p" is the p element definition that you are changing. The other
parameters in the definition can be adjusted as you wish. Sizes are in
points with the exception of line-height, which is actually what we
used to call line spacing. 200% is double spacing, 100% is single
spacing, etc.

One more thing... I noticed in my version of OE, hitting return
results in a div tag, not a p . So, I might decide to make the
changes to the style section like this:
STYLE
!--
p {text-indent: 10; line-height: 200%; margin-left: 10; margin-top: 3;
margin-bottom: 3 }
div {text-indent: 10; line-height: 200%; margin-left: 10;
margin-top: 3; margin-bottom: 3 }
--
/STYLE

There are lots of other things you can do in CSS. Look into CSS if you
like. You might run into some problems with existing CSS & HTML if you
are replying to messages formatted by some other mail program. (I find
message from any MS application or any web based email tend to be
trouble). That discussion is beyond the scope here.

If you want to do this all the time, save a blank message with your
CSS definitions in it as OE Stationary - then use the Format / Apply
Stationary whenever you start an email message to get your favorite
formatting.

Old March 2nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Joris

Hi,
Probably this question lays in the same area as the answer to double
spacings: I have a question about spaces in HTML-code. I type texts in OE
(6.00.2600.00 under XP Home 2002 SP2). At numerous places my text contains
normal spaces but also 'locked spaces' (transcripted in HTML as ), which
influence the layout I prefer in a negative manner. I don't know how and when
these 's appear in my text, but I don't want them. How can I avoide these
's arrive in my text?
TIA
Joris

Old March 2nd 06, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
don

Thanks again for the help. I blundered across an easy way to solve my
problem. Write the email in HTML, either in word (transferred to the email
page) and then convert the email page to plain text. Then convert it back
to HTML and reinsert any HTML features (bold, underlining, etc.). The page
remains single-spaced for the writer and recipient.

Cheers. Don