Outlook Express won't check for new messages, getting this error!

Old January 14th 06, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
psongman

Default Outlook Express won't check for new messages, getting this error!

HI, I am getting this dialog after logging on to the Internet and
opening my Outlook Express. Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number:
0x800CCC0D.

I can send and receive messages by clicking on Send and Receive.

I am using Windows 98SE with IE 6. Please help me to fix this problem,
it is very frustrating as you know. OH, I already ran IE repair and it
didn't correct the problem. Thanks again, psongman

Old January 14th 06, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

If you are automatically scanning emails for viruses, turn it off.

--
Ron Sommer

ups.com...

Old January 14th 06, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
psongman

No, not scanning anothing. I have tried everything. I did find out that
it puts up that x when it says check for emaill messages...but how come
Send and Receives works. Strange, please keep the correcting coming in,
thanks again, psongman

Old January 15th 06, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old January 16th 06, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
psongman

HI, well I had a bit of trouble before but fixed it, but it was that I
had to hit send and receive again to send messages from outbox. This
time it opens up, connects, but won't check for new messages, so I hit
Send and Receive, works perfectly....and I need to tell you, all the
functions work right after that, if I leave it on and open. Thanks for
helping, maybe we can pinpoint the problem soon, Derek

Old January 17th 06, 05:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Please include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup.

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

paste
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
/paste

Your current Identity may have been damaged by your anti-virus application,
especially if its the default Main Identity. Try one or more of your
accounts in a new Named Identity (File Identities Add new identity).
Assuming all is well, import messages from the old Identity before deleting
it (File Identities Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

Old January 20th 06, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
psongman

Hi, I have done all the procedures mentioned above. I even deleted and
reinstalled IE6 and Outlook Express, formed new identity, changed all
folders, don't have email scanning on, ran every antispyware known to
man. Same problem keeps coming up, won't check for new messages until I
hit Send and Receive. My ISP says it isn't their problem, but it can't
be my computer now. I do have one bit of info to add, when my computer
is booting up, two references to Diskeeper come up in C prompt, I have
Windows 98SE, that is about the only strange occurrence I can detect
now. I do have a modem connection that is not that great but works
quite well most of the time. If that is causing the snafu I will change
it, but can't see how that would be when Send and Receive works.

You know explaining that it doesn't connect with port error 11001 and
that Send and Receive allows me to check messages should bring up a
Eureka light to all those Windows and IE pros out there. Personally, I
have never had a more frustrating problem than this one, unless my
registry is causing the port to be blocked and not check for new
messages until I hit Send and Receive. Enough rambling, please only new
insight to possible problematic changes. Appreciate all the help, Derek

Old January 20th 06, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Please include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup
if you expect any more assistance. And please stick to one (1) and only one
(1) thread about your problem so we know what you've tried so far to fix the
problem.

All of your threads here about the problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rt=0&scoring=d

IE: Help about: What version is displayed here, please (e.g.,
6.0.2800.xxxxXX =include any letters at the end).
--
~PA Bear

Old January 20th 06, 11:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
psongman

HI, OK, PA Bear, this is from NY Needs Help. If you don't want to help,
then stop all these references to different posts. OK, I made a
mistake, didn't know you had to bring in all these other posts. Since I
wasn't getting any answers to a problem that I am hoping there are
knowledgeable people volunteering, I just kept asking. Why does
everyone keep coming up with scenarios, that I have obviously been
through. Here is the error message.

Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number:
0x800CCC0D.

Here is what I have done:

psongman
Jan 20, 2:11 pm show options

HI, well, I have spent the last week trying to fix or repair my Outlook

Express connection. Here is what I did in conjunction with help from my

ISP. I removed and reinstalled IE6 and Outlook Express, used every
antispyware proggie known to get rid of all that junk. I formed a new
identity, changed all the dbx etc. files to negate that possible
problem. In other words, all that can physically be done to eradicate
this error.

Here is what I need:

I need to know if there is any way to check why the connecting to
Outlook Express is being blocked when logging on then works when Send
and Receive is clicked...and besides reloading the OS what are methods
that can know be tried that might fix the problem. Thanks for
assisting, appreciated, Derek