question disabling e-mail scanning by Norton

Old October 30th 07, 10:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
sarah

Default question disabling e-mail scanning by Norton

I went to my symantec center and verified that auto protect is on, auto
update is on and definitions are up to date. Then when I clicked to turn OFF
the e-mail scanning, I got this MESSAGE ALERT from Norton: TURNING OFF THIS
FEATURE REDUCES YOUR SYSTEM PROTECTION! Why would I get this message if it's
safe and an "unnecessary second layer of protection"? I feel very nervous
about turning it off after seeing this message.

Old October 31st 07, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Windows version? Norton/Symantec application and version (e.g., Norton
Internet Security 2005; Norton AntiVirus 2006)?

Email scanning provides no additional protection and even Symantec has said
it's not necessary (despite what Symantec Security Center is telling you):

QP
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
/QP
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

Old October 31st 07, 07:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
sarah

It is Norton anti-virus 2006. It also sent me a security alert: attention! 2
items need fixed: e-mail scan and worm protection for e-mail...I read the
FAQ that showed that it was an extra layer of protection but sure getting a
lot of messages about the risk I was taking in spite of that. It also showed
a window where I was to "select the duration": 15 minutes, 1 hour, 5 hours
or until system restart.What should I do with that? put until system
restart?

Old October 31st 07, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

The best thing you could do for Outlook Express is to get rid of Norton
completely, and do not use e-mail scanning with any AV.

I would suggest either Avast, (freeware), or NOD32, (not free).

In the case of Avast, choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.

Norton, and McAfee, products are not Outlook Express friendly, and I don't
know of any OE-MVP that would recommend using them.

Avast:

NOD32:
http://www.eset.com/
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old November 1st 07, 06:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Welcome to Symantec Service & Support
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/index.html