Internet Explorer Hijack

Old September 20th 07, 02:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill Ridgeway

Default Internet Explorer Hijack

A Client has acquired a browser hi-jack problem. I have installed Browser
Hijack Retaliator but he is not being allowed to change his home page
(Internet Explorer). He is presently using Mozilla Firefox as a get-around
but doesn't like it.

I am wary of using just any piece of utility software purporting to deal
with this sort of problem just in case it makes matters worse. I would
appreciate suggestions from anyone who has successfully dealt with this
problem.

Thanks..

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Old September 20th 07, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I guess you're too used to asking OE questions. wink

For Internet Explorer questions not pertaining to Outlook Express, please
post to one of the following:

IE6 Specific Newsgroup:

IE General newsgroup, (For IE6 and IE7):
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

Old September 20th 07, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Malke

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
A Client has acquired a browser hi-jack problem. I have installed Browser
Hijack Retaliator but he is not being allowed to change his home page
(Internet Explorer). He is presently using Mozilla Firefox as a get-around
but doesn't like it.

I am wary of using just any piece of utility software purporting to deal
with this sort of problem just in case it makes matters worse. I would
appreciate suggestions from anyone who has successfully dealt with this
problem.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to
do all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm - download

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware he
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal
techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the
infection by following the general steps, register at one of the
HijackThis forums as suggested.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old September 20th 07, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
A Client has acquired a browser hi-jack problem. I have installed Browser
Hijack Retaliator but he is not being allowed to change his home page
(Internet Explorer). He is presently using Mozilla Firefox as a get-around
but doesn't like it.

I am wary of using just any piece of utility software purporting to deal
with this sort of problem just in case it makes matters worse. I would
appreciate suggestions from anyone who has successfully dealt with this
problem.

It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this a
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Tools IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malwa
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

Old September 21st 07, 01:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Milo \(MSPSS\)

Please call Microsoft Security 866 727 2338 ( US/CANADA ) this a free
support and a toll free number. For direct assistance to identify and if
ever its caused by malicious code - assist you fixing the current issue in
your PC.