TURN OFF COPYING WHEN COMPACTING?

Old May 17th 07, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Lindsay Graham

Default TURN OFF COPYING WHEN COMPACTING?

I use WinXP SP2 with IE7 and OE6. When I compact files in OE, 'backups' are
created in the Recycle Bin. But I always do a full backup of OE before I
compact -- so is there any way (eg, a Registry hack?) of turning off the
copying when compacting OE?

--
Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia

Old May 17th 07, 03:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Bruce Hagen

This is due to a recent OE update, (KB923694). Now when you compact, a copy
of your dbx files are sent to the Recycle Bin in the event that something
should go wrong and messages, or entire folders, are lost when you are
compacting.

Many people do not back up Outlook Express on a regular basis. This new
mandatory backup is something people have been asking for quite awhile as we
spend a lot of time helping people getting their messages back, and they
have to purchase a tool to recover messages.

You can empty the Recycle Bin any time you want and the bak files will go
away until you compact again.

For more info, see the information outlined in red he
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old May 17th 07, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Lindsay Graham

Thanks, Bruce. But is there any way off turning off the 'mandatory backup'?
I ask because my OE message store is generally bigger than the free space on
that drive partition, so that I have to do a temporary transfer before I can
compact. When I backup OE before compacting, I backup to a different drive
(an external hard drive), so this problem does not arise.

--
Lindsay Graham

Old May 17th 07, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Bruce Hagen

AFAIK, you would have to remove the patch. As it addressed other issues as
well, it wouldn't be a good idea. When SP3 comes out, (I have no idea when),
you would end up with the backup anyway.

Old May 18th 07, 12:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
PA Bear

Believe us: You /want/ the automatic backup, even if you've done a manual
backup! We fought for it for nearly a decade. Why? See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Old May 18th 07, 04:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Jeff

But here is the problem: on my system at least, the backup copies the
files to my recycle bin during the compacting phase. So "when" is it
safe to empty the Recycle bin? As soon as the compacting is finished or
will problems surface later? And if later, how much later?

I tend to empty by recycle bin frequently. I just do not like that full
appearance. It must be a compulsion.

So when is it safe to get rid of these backup files?

Jeff

Old May 18th 07, 05:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Bruce Hagen

Any problems will show up immediately.

If you lose messages when compacting, it won't be one, or two. If a quick
glance at your Inbox and a few other folders you use shows no loss of
messages, then empty the Recycle Bin.

Even with the update, I still recommend backing up on your own.

This freeware tool backs up everything in OE in seconds. Disregard what is
written in red. That is referring to a different program.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB):
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

Old May 18th 07, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
PA Bear

I compact all OE folders at the end of every day myself. Immediately prior
to compacting, I empty the Recycle Bin. Personally, I'd want at least one
backup set in Recycle Bin at all times.
--
~PA Bear

Old May 18th 07, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Steve Cochran

OEQB is a better method to backup as it does all the registry keys, all the
identities and they aren't stuck in the recycle bin as bak files. So I hit
the B button in OETool prior to compacting. (I'm on my Vista machine
posting this).

steve

Old May 19th 07, 05:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Jeff

So, if you use OEQB is it not redundent to back it up again while
compacting? Double the time?

Jeff?