automatically expand mailbox folders...

Old March 30th 07, 04:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
GO

Default automatically expand mailbox folders...

I've just recently restored my system (Win2k), installing all Windows
Updates, and have come across an oddity. Outlook Express no longer leaves
the folders within the mailbox expanded. Now that I've thought about it I'm
pretty sure this is a result of the Internet Explorer SP1 update (and if I
remember correctly I don't believe I had it previously installed for just
that very reason). Has MS ever released a fix for this issue? I've
searched through the newsgroups and have found several others complaining
about the same problem but no one has offered a solution yet.

TIA,

Greg

Old March 30th 07, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Gary Smith

In microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress GO wrote:
I've just recently restored my system (Win2k), installing all Windows
Updates, and have come across an oddity. Outlook Express no longer leaves
the folders within the mailbox expanded. Now that I've thought about it I'm
pretty sure this is a result of the Internet Explorer SP1 update (and if I
remember correctly I don't believe I had it previously installed for just
that very reason). Has MS ever released a fix for this issue? I've
searched through the newsgroups and have found several others complaining
about the same problem but no one has offered a solution yet.

There's no fix.

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio
Old March 31st 07, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
GO

wrote:
I've just recently restored my system (Win2k), installing all Windows
Updates, and have come across an oddity. Outlook Express no longer

leaves
the folders within the mailbox expanded. Now that I've thought about it

I'm
pretty sure this is a result of the Internet Explorer SP1 update (and if

remember correctly I don't believe I had it previously installed for

just
that very reason). Has MS ever released a fix for this issue? I've
searched through the newsgroups and have found several others

complaining
about the same problem but no one has offered a solution yet.

There's no fix.

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio

Gary,

Thanks for the (rather unfortunate reply.

Greg

Old April 1st 07, 06:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Robert Aldwinckle

"Gary Smith" wrote in message
In microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress GO wrote:
I've just recently restored my system (Win2k), installing all Windows
Updates, and have come across an oddity. Outlook Express no longer leaves
the folders within the mailbox expanded. Now that I've thought about it I'm
pretty sure this is a result of the Internet Explorer SP1 update (and if I
remember correctly I don't believe I had it previously installed for just
that very reason). Has MS ever released a fix for this issue? I've
searched through the newsgroups and have found several others complaining
about the same problem but no one has offered a solution yet.

There's no fix.

But there is a workaround... ; )

Check: Automatically display folders with unread messages

and make sure that at least one unread message exists in the lowest
level of a nest of folders. Hint: you could create a dummy subfolder
with one message in it which reminded you never to leave it marked read.

FYI

Robert
---

Old April 2nd 07, 05:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
GO

wrote:
[...]

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the idea. While not entirely practical it seems like it would do
the trick. I just wish MS would just fix it!!

Greg

Old April 2nd 07, 01:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"GO" wrote in message

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote in message

Check: Automatically display folders with unread messages

and make sure that at least one unread message exists in the lowest
level of a nest of folders. Hint: you could create a dummy subfolder
with one message in it which reminded you never to leave it marked read.

Thanks for the idea. While not entirely practical it seems like it would
do
the trick. I just wish MS would just fix it!!

They won't.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old April 3rd 07, 05:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
GO

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote in message
"GO" wrote in message

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote in message

Check: Automatically display folders with unread messages

and make sure that at least one unread message exists in the lowest
level of a nest of folders. Hint: you could create a dummy subfolder
with one message in it which reminded you never to leave it marked

read.

Thanks for the idea. While not entirely practical it seems like it

would
do
the trick. I just wish MS would just fix it!!

They won't.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Answer in newsgroup. Don't expect an answer to email.

Yeah, I know. This is issue is a couple years old now. If they didn't fix
it then it's unlikely they'll fix it now. I can always dream though ...