Outlook Express hung up after power outage

Old March 23rd 07, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jane

Default Outlook Express hung up after power outage

Two days ago, while the computer was on and Outlook Express active, the power
fluctuated, the PC was turned off and Outlook Express hung upon re-boot.

I’m running Windows XP home edition, up-to-date service packs installed
(pack 2 +
updates after), on an HP computer.

The below error messages are generated when I close down the product using the
Windows task manager, I cannot do anything within Outlook Express.

Error signature …
szAppName : msimn.exe szAppVer : 6.0.2900.2180 szModName : hungapp

szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERa093.dir00\msim n.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERa093.dir00\appc ompat.txt

I can use all other applications, connect to the internet and use webmail from
my provider (Wideopen West).

I have done the following without correcting the problem:
1. Tried to restore system to past date … would not go back to past date.
2. Using System tools (appwiz.cpl), uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook
Express, no change in hang.
3. Scanned system with Windows Defender – all OK
4. I have Norton installed and up-to-date and full system scan shows no
viruses.
5. defrag Disk … plenty of space 86% free

There are 4 messages unread in the in box. I seem to recall many years ago
being told to delete these messages from some file as this might correct the
hanging problem??
Any instructions on how to do this OR any other thing that might fix my
problem??

--
Jane
Old March 23rd 07, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jane

Thanks -- I found a solution to this problem in another posting.
I renamed Inbox.dbl to Inbox.old and, while I lost the emails that
were in my INbox, I am now able to get into Outlook Express again.
Thanks.
--
Jane

Old March 23rd 07, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

To avoid such problems in the futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Old March 23rd 07, 06:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ken

Hi Jane,

Having had similar problem I now leave my messages on the server for a few
days before they are removed.

This gives me the ability to recover recent messages if Outlook Express
messes up the inbox.

Accomplished by setting "Leave copy of message on server", then specify to
remove message after X amount of days. Removing message after X amount of
days keeps the server from getting overloaded.

Tools | Accounts | mail tab | select account | choose Properties | Advance
tab

Note: one would also use above setting if they want to receive/POP the same
messages to another computer or mail program. In this case, only one
computer or mail program would be set to remove message after X amount of
days, the other's would just be set to leave copy of message on server.

As a side note: I also try not store messages in the Inbox, most via my
rules automatically go to folder where they would normally be stored, others
are moved/deleted after reading.

Just some thoughts,
Ken

Old March 23rd 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Jane" wrote:

[...]

DBXtract or DBXpress should be able to recover your messages.
http://www.oehelp.com

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com