switch from dial-up to broadband and ie6 fails

Old February 5th 07, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
James C. Butler

Default switch from dial-up to broadband and ie6 fails

Working under XP sp2, Internet Explorer 7, OE6

Over the weekend I switched from dial-up to broadband.

OE 6 now fails to send or receive email and it has been so many years I
cannot recall how to configure it anew.

I get this error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.email.msn.com',
Server: 'smtp.email.msn.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

Question 2: since I am aware that Outlook Express probably has a short life
span ahead, is now the time to switch to something else, like Outlook or
Live Mail. I want to preserve my present email address.

Thanks.

Jim

Old February 5th 07, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Richard in AZ

"James C. Butler" wrote in message
Working under XP sp2, Internet Explorer 7, OE6

Over the weekend I switched from dial-up to broadband.

OE 6 now fails to send or receive email and it has been so many years I cannot recall how to
configure it anew.

I get this error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.email.msn.com', Server:
'smtp.email.msn.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error
Number: 0x800CCC0E

What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

Question 2: since I am aware that Outlook Express probably has a short life span ahead, is now the
time to switch to something else, like Outlook or Live Mail. I want to preserve my present email
address.

Thanks.

Jim

The last time I setup OE to use MSN on broadband, the server address had to be:
://oe.msn.msnmail.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/hmdata
after choosing HTML, not POP, mail.
Check with your provider for the correct OE account settings.

Old February 5th 07, 05:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.msn.discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

X-post to MSN Discussion

A1. See these threads in MSN Discussion newsgroup: http://snipurl.com/19euz

A2. OE will continue to be supported as long as the OS you're running it in
is. You cannot access your POP3 account in Windows Live Mail.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old February 5th 07, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

See these discussions: http://snipurl.com/19euz
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

N. Miller wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:58:08 -0700, Richard in AZ wrote:

The last time I setup OE to use MSN on broadband, the server address had
to be: ://oe.msn.msnmail.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/hmdata
after choosing HTML, not POP, mail.
Check with your provider for the correct OE account settings.

The OP stated that he was using the legacy MSN SMTP and POP3 servers.
Those
should still work with a broadband Internet connection. They are common
protocols, and they don't care about dial-up, DSL, satellite, or cable
connections.