OE mail vs chkdsk

Old January 29th 07, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Poprivet

Default OE mail vs chkdsk

I imagine a lot of you already know this, but ... I experienced an
"interesting" event today with OE that might be worth passing along.

I was running chkdsk on drive D, the second partition (data) on my first
hard drive. Bored, I got tired of waiting for it and decided since OE is on
the C drive, I could safely run it. Only, I forgot the message stores are
on D plus that it was dismounted in order to run chkdsk.

After all the chkdsk jobs finished (all 5 drive letters), got the following
result/s:

All personally created email folders disappeared.
All newsgroup subscriptions (not the newsgroup itself) disappeared.
But, all email accounts were left in tact. Didn't look at the WAB.

Checking e-mail started to download ALL messages that were left on the
server; 14 day's worth in most cases, for all 8 accounts.
Newsgroups all wanted to be redownloaded since there were no
subscriptions.

Fortunately I had an image to get the files back from, but ... it was still
a surprise, not to mention an irritation over my own stupidityg.

So, leave stuff alone when chkdsk is running. It might bite!

HTH
Pop`

Old January 29th 07, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

The files might still be there, but OE lost the location. You try searching
for *.dbx (hidden) and see if you can find the old files. See
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4

That's a real horror story.

steve

Old January 29th 07, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Poprivet

Steve Cochran wrote:
The files might still be there, but OE lost the location. You try
searching for *.dbx (hidden) and see if you can find the old files. See
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4

That's a real horror story.

Well, -this- time it wasn't bad; my intermediate backup ran last night, so
it wasn't hard to recover. But I think I'm one of the few to have a backup
image handy; Ghost 10.

I thought about looking for the files and reimporting them but it seemed
easier to just restore them. I wish now I'd looked; I don't know if they
were there or not - they well could have been.

Pop`

steve