OE won't open .email file extension attachments

Old January 21st 07, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
oljack

Default OE won't open .email file extension attachments

I am using Windows XP Home and Outlook Express for my e-mail. I successfully
receive tens of e-mails per day. However, I have a problem opening one
friend’s e-mails. If this friend sends me an e-mail, it comes in with an
..eml attachment which I can open without problem. If he forwards me an
e-mail, it comes in with an .email file extension which, when I try to open
it, gives me a message that there is no file association and will not open.
I have marked the .email file extension in "file associations" to open in
Outlook Express but this does not help. My friend uses MSN as his internet
provider.

I can open the .email file extension by saving the attachment to my hard
drive and changing the .email to .eml or by going to my internet provider’s
e-mail program and opening the sent e-mail. Both are a little cumbersome and
I’m wondering why Outlook Express won’t handle this?

Old January 21st 07, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Outlook Express could handle it, but that's dependent on telling Windows
what a .email file is. OE depends on Windows for handling attachments.
And even though the .email file is coming from MSN, out of the box,
Windows doesn't know what a .email file is.

A .email (or .ema) or .ezm file is an alternate file extension for an
..EML file. One option is to save the attachment, then rename with an
..EML file name.

You can create a file association for .email files.

You can get to File Associations via:
- My Computer
- View (Win95/98/NT4/Me) or Tools (Win2000 or WinXP) menu
- Folder Options (or Options)
- File Types
- New Type
- New
- Action: OPEN

The application used needs to be:
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /eml:%1

Content Type (MIME) should be:
message/rfc822

Depending on your version of Windows, you may not see the Content type
while setting up the file association. In that case, don't worry about
it.