OE6 wont let me press send/receive button

Old November 14th 06, 10:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Judy L

Default OE6 wont let me press send/receive button

OE6 will not let me press send/receive button, even when I shut down OE and
restart. I have to completely reboot.

What could be wrong?

Judy

Old November 14th 06, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You may have a damaged identity especially if it is the default Main
Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new one and test it.
If all is well, you can import your messages and Address Book from the old
identity and delete it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old November 15th 06, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Judy L

Bruce, before I do this - would it be connected in any way by the fact that
I have downloaded IE7? I notice a lot of other people having problems
with OE6 & IE7

Judy

Old November 15th 06, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Judy L

I truly apologise for omitting to say this doesnt happen every time (not
being able to press send), just now and again. That is why I thought it
might be connected with IE7

Old November 15th 06, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

In case the problem /is/ related to IE7, after creating the new Named
Identity, I would suggest reading the following link...

Sandi's notes on "IE7 Gold", including Installation Tips
http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks...18/182724.aspx

....and then uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 per Sandi's Best Practices
tips.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/e...asp?frame=true
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old November 15th 06, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Judy L

I tried to re-download IE7, and got the following error message

ActiveX automation object placed in DMIE.DLL is not registered or corrupted.
Please try reinstall Download Master.

What does this mean please
Judy

Old November 15th 06, 01:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

First things first: Have you created and started using a new identity, and
has doing so resolved your OE problem?

Secondly, where did you get this "Download Master"? From the little bit of
research I've done on it so far, it looks like you may have gotten yourself
a hijackware infection when you downloaded it. (I would NOT reinstall this
application!) If so, I'd hazard to guess that neither a new identity or
uninstalling/reinstalling IE7 will help at all.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7, or other appropriate
forums for expert analysis, not here.**

~PA Bear

Old November 15th 06, 03:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

This is more likely to be caused by an anti-spam program or by an anti-virus
set to scan email than by IE7. In both cases the program creates a proxy
and makes OE send to and receive from the proxy where the email is checked.
The proxy in turn does the actual connecting to the servers. This can cause
OE to time out and not do the Send and Receive.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old November 15th 06, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

FWIW, Judy doesn't have /any/ anti-virus application installed presently:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=22638
--
~PA Bear

Old November 15th 06, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Judy L

PA Bear, thanks for your reply on the other site. I hope you don't mind
that I havent created a new identity. I did actually do it, but got a bit
nervous - I have a lot of emails on the other site and could not afford to
lose them. I did a system restore and all back to normal, as when I tried
to go back to my main identity - it kept trying to instal Microsoft Outlook
and not OE.

I would like to concentrate on the error message.

ActiveX automation object placed in DMIE.DLL is not registered or corrupted.
Please try reinstall Download Master.

I"m noticing that it only comes up when I download something new - does that
give you a better idea? I have absolutely no idea from whence it came.

I didn't know I wasn't using a virus protector, thanks for letting me know -
I thought Prevx was it (lol). I have installed Avast, and am about to do
the scan in safe mode as suggested. Will get back to you.

Thanks for your help
Judy