Outlook express

Old November 7th 06, 02:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
question

Default Outlook express

Can you have one identity on two computers and not have to import all the
emails from one computer to another. ?

I just added a computer to my network at work but I need to still look at my
emails with the new additional computer, is that something I can do with the
same setup and name.

Jose

Thank you in advance for any of your sugguestions.

Old November 7th 06, 03:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

If both computers are using the same e-mail address, on both machines:

Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced - Check: Leave a copy of
messages on the server.

On one machine, check to Delete messages after X days to assure the server
does not get clogged up.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old November 7th 06, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

OE's message stores isn't designed for sharing but there are work arounds
and for that requires a little extra work should you make ANY changes.

You have to clone it is basically what happens.

Each computer HAS to be set up for OE identically.

Start off by making a backup of the message stores on the second computer,
we'll call Computer B.

Tools | Options |Maintenance tab | Store Folders button to find the location
of the DBX files.

Now, locate the Address Book. OPen Address Book and click on Help | About,
it shoud show the location of the WAB file. Make a backup of it.

Copy that back up to Computer A and import the messages. Create a folder on
Computer A and name it Old Mail.

Copy the Address Book to the same C:\Old Mail folder and import it in via
File | Import | Address Book.

File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 | Import mail from an
OE6 store directory. Press Next and then Browse and navigate to the C:\Old
Mail folder where you put the message stores from Computer B. Select it to
highlight it then press OK and finish up the import.

Now you have ALL messages and folders on one computer.

Here is where I would suggest you create a single folder for the message
stores that is NOT in the Documents and Settings folder. Mainly because both
computers may have different user profiles and this becomes a pain to deal
with.

On Computer A, create a new folder on the hard drive and name it C:\Mail

On Computer A, go to Tools | Options | Maintenance tab |Store Folders
button.
Press Change and navigate to the C:\Mail folder.
Now close out the dialog and close OE.
Restart OE and the message stores will be moved to C:\Mail.

Now you're ready.

Close OE on COmputer A and Computer B.

START | Run
type in Regedit and press ENTER

Press the + sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Click on the Identities subkey
Now, from the File menu, select Export
Name it Identities.reg

Now, scroll down and locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and expand it.
Click the + sign next to Microsoft and expand it.

Locate the following:

Internet Acounts Manager
Export it as IAM.reg

Now, make a central location of the Address Book, just use the C:\Mail
folder would be okay. On Computer A, copy the WAB file for it to that
folder.

Scroll further down in Regedit and find WAB subkey
Edit the registry and change it to show the path as C:\Mail

Export it as WAB.reg

Now you're ready.

Make a folder on Computer B and name it C:\Mail
Copy all the dbx files and WAB files from Computer A to Computer B.

Now, copy the three .reg files to Computer B.

Import each in by right clicking on it and selecting Merge.

Start OE on Computer B and it will look like Computer A.

Now, the problems to avoid.

IF you make any changes (add accounts, make changes in OE), you HAVE to
export the the .reg subkeys and (less WAB.reg if you don't make changes to
it) and import them into which ever computer has not had the changes made.
THIS IS A MUST! If you don't, you may find you have an empty Inbox for some
odd reason and that reason is OE didn't know what to do so it created a new
Identity and new message stores.

Also, if you have multiple Identities setup, just make the change to the
message store location. Actually I'd just ditch them till you get things set
up and running right.

Old November 7th 06, 04:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

Norman, what's the max size email it can handle? Not seeing anything yet on
that part.

"N. Miller" wrote in message

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,

Old November 8th 06, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

They're using the POP3 server in Windows 2003 Server now for local
"in-house" email which can't handle anything over 2 gig I believe it is.
It's actually easier for them to put it in their shared docs or even a
folder on the server but some are restricted from both for various reasons.
Some of the files can go over 10 gig (from outside sources via Internet)
which are forwarded locally via in-house mail.

Since it's on a local LAN, speed isn't a problem.

"N. Miller" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:43:26 -0600, DGuess wrote:

Norman, what's the max size email it can handle? Not seeing anything yet
on
that part.

What is the max size that your MSP can handle, or your recipient's MSP? I
have sent email up to the max size of the MSPs without problem. Of course,
that is the SMTP part, which isn't necessary for running a local IMAP
server. I don't see why there would be a limit on the email in the message
store for the IMAP, or POP3 fetch, if there is non for SMTP.

If it is in your MSP POP3 mailbox, it will be downloaded by the Mercury/32
"POP3 Distributing Client". If it is in the Mercury/32 message store, it
will be readable by any IMAP client when the Mercury/32 "IMAP4 Server" is
running. The only issue will be how long it takes to download; and that is
factor of your Internet connection, not your applications.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
~now in the air the spring is coming.
~Sweet, blowing wind,
~singing down the hills and valleys.

Outlook Express 6 The more I delete the bigger Outlook Express 6 folders gets [email protected] Outlook - General Queries 1 August 15th 06 12:15 PM
Outlook express stewart george stewart Outlook - General Queries 1 July 12th 06 02:25 PM
Outlook express Martin Outlook and VBA 0 April 27th 06 06:28 PM
Outlook Express David R Outlook - General Queries 1 March 3rd 06 01:40 PM
Outlook express help cdyer Outlook Express 7 January 24th 06 12:32 AM