FOLDER PROBLEMS IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS

« .dbx problems | Re: »

Old October 21st 06, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
nicolate

Default FOLDER PROBLEMS IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS

All my commands relating to FOLDERS do not work in O.E. either from the EDIT
menu when I try to use MOVE TO FOLDER or COPY TO FOLDER or when I right click
on a message in my INBOX to do the same thing.

I have a Dell 5150 using XP HOME EDITION (Version 2002) with SERVICE PACK 2

Does anybody have a fairly simple answer to this as I am not an advanced
user and do not want to mess with the Registry, etc
--
nicolate
Old October 21st 06, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You may have a damaged identity especially if it is the default Main
Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new one and test it.
If all is well, you can import your messages and Address Book from the old
identity and delete it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Backup & Resto
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 23rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
nicolate

Bruce

Thanks for your suggestion. I did create a new identity in O.E and lo and
behold I was able to use the FOLDER commands. However when I added my
internet connection to the new identity I had the same problem. Do you have
an explanation?
--
nicolate

Old October 23rd 06, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I have never seen that before. Hopefully someone else will see this and have
an explanation.

In the meanwhile, if you want to move a message to another folder, just grab
it with the left mouse key and drag it to the folder. If you want to copy it
to another folder, use the right mouse key ant you will see the Copy Here
option when you release the mouse key.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 24th 06, 12:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"nicolate" wrote in message
Bruce

Thanks for your suggestion. I did create a new identity in O.E and lo and
behold I was able to use the FOLDER commands. However when I added my
internet connection to the new identity I had the same problem. Do you
have
an explanation?

Is the account a POP3 account?
Or is perhaps an IMAP or HTTP account?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old October 29th 06, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
nicolate

It's a POP3 account with Orange in France although I don't understand why
this would cause this problem
--
nicolate

Old October 29th 06, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"nicolate" wrote in message
Bruce

Thanks for your suggestion. I did create a new identity in O.E and lo
and
behold I was able to use the FOLDER commands. However when I added my
internet connection to the new identity I had the same problem. Do you
have
an explanation?

Is the account a POP3 account?
Or is perhaps an IMAP or HTTP account?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Answer in newsgroup. Don't send mail.

I might have had an answer if the account were IMAP of HTTP.
I can't think of any reason why adding a POP3 account would interfere with
the ability to add a folder or move (or copy) a message to a folder.