Messages I write always wordwrap about half-way across page

Old October 17th 06, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Default Messages I write always wordwrap about half-way across page

I haven't figured out how to format the line length in a message I write, or return, in
Outlook Express. They always end about half-way across the page and then wordwrap to
the next line. This results in odd length lines and a waste of space. Can someone show
me what to do about this.

Thanks, jc

Old October 17th 06, 12:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Does this happen while you are typing, or just after the message is sent?

Tools | Options | Send | HTML & Plain Text Settings. 76 is the common wrap
used.

What is your Windows Version? It would appear from your message header that
you are using a very outdated version of MSOE. I strongly urge you to visit
Windows Updates and download at the very least, all the Critical patches.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 17th 06, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

It doesn't seem to happen when I'm typing, but shows up in the message after
I've sent it. It also showed up in your reply, the second line wrapped
after the word "wrap" with "used" on the next line. I check the Plain Text
settings and I had lengthened them to 86 and 100 words...probably trying to
fix this problem. As I type this reply, if I widen the window the lines
lengthen to match the window size. It's only when they are sent that this
problem occurs.

I've been using the Plain Text settings, do you think that HTML might have
more control? Any other suggestions?

I'm using Win2000 sp4, IE 6. I tend to stay away from the latest versions
because I don't feel like being a Microsoft beta tester. Since I never open
unknown attachments, and I run lots of different antivirus software and
other checking programs, I don't often have problems other than lots of
spam. Recently a Bandok trojan (ali.exe) has slipped through a couple of
times, but I can spot it quickly and have learned how to get rid of it (even
through most antivirus software don't even detect it).

Thanks for your help...I've had this problem through many versions of IE,
although it wasn't always there. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

jc

Old October 17th 06, 02:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Does what you describe happen when viewing in Plain Text more so than HTML?
Since you say it gets better if you widen the viewing screen, it sounds to
me that you are using a screen resolution that is not what your monitors
manufacturer recommends. Check that out.

QP
I tend to stay away from the latest versions because I don't feel like being
a Microsoft beta tester.
/QP

Your message header:

Your non-updated machine is no newer than a new Win98 version of OE. You are
not even close to being a beta tester. Not to mention, with rare exceptions,
Windows Updates are tested, and bugs removed, prior to being available to
the general user.

You also only need one anti-virus program, and, though you didn't mention
it, never use more than one firewall.

AVG Free is a good A/V and I have downloaded it and run it on some machines
that never had an A/V program, and it found every Trojan every time.

Not going to Windows Updates is your choice, but it is tantamount to never
changing the oil in your car and then scratching your head when the engine
seizes up. You will never get the optimum performance out of your machine if
this is the way you wish to go.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 17th 06, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

That is correct. The OE wordwrapping is not applies until the program is
sent to Drafts or the Outbox. Do not press Enter until the end of a
paragraph.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Old October 17th 06, 04:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

But there is wordwrapping as I type, and it is correct. The incorrect
version shows up in the message that is sent. That is happening right now,
and I'm not pressing enter. This reply is in the HTML setting, we'll see if
that makes a difference.

jc

Old October 17th 06, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Nope, same thing. Something is wrapping the sentences at about 2/3rd the
way across the page. Counting spaces it does come to about 75 or so letters.
I remain puzzled by this.

jc

Old October 17th 06, 04:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

This reply was /not/ sent in HTML.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 17th 06, 04:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Go to Windows Updates.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 17th 06, 05:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Charlie Tame

Okay, I just set mine to 132 which is the maximum and now I just have to think of something to type that will use up all those
characters and wrap the lines. Bear in mind it wraps on my screen between "Bear and in" at the window size I'm using but this is
quite irrelevant to what is actually sent. The whole point of this is to see how this looks on my screen compared to yours. What
screen resolution are you using because with 132 characters maximum a very high resolution will probably result in the problem you
are seeing if you use full screen.

Charlie