2 GB of memory over 1 GB of memory free, and outlook complains of being out of memory

Old October 16th 06, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
David Hettel

Default 2 GB of memory over 1 GB of memory free, and outlook complains of being out of memory

I have a problem where Outlook Express complains of being out of memory, yet
I have 2 GB of memory and over 1 Gb of free physical memory. I often can not
reply to post, or even open new windows in IE. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

Old October 16th 06, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Backup & Resto
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/
--
Bruce Hagen ~ MS-MVP ~ Outlook Express
XP/SP2 Users, English & German Versions Only

Old October 16th 06, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Most "out of memory" errors in Windows programs indicate a data file
corruption rather than a lack of memory. What happens is the program
goes to ask for memory allocation based on corrupted data and asks for a
ridiculous amount.

If the problem occurs in OE when clicking the Send button in a message
composition window, I would first suspect a corrupted Outbox.dbx file
since all messages (mail and news) are written to the file when you
click send
- Close Outlook Express.
- OE5+: Locate the file outbox.dbx in the mail directory and delete it.
You can use Start, Find (or Search), Files or Folders, outbox.dbx to
find it. On Win2000 you need enable the display of Hidden or System
files in the folder options and XP you need to use the advanced options
to find Hidden or System files. (You can also determine the location by
looking in OE at Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder.)
- Open Outlook Express again. It will create a new empty Outbox.

Use the following newsgroup for questions or problems with IE6

You can also get to the Internet Explorer newsgroups via this web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
There select Internet Explorer

Old October 17th 06, 04:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Charlie Tame

David, in addition to Michael's advice can I suggest you look at these sites
which far surpass anything Microsoft has ever offered in regard to OE.

--
Still the best sites for OE details
http://www.insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

Charlie

Old October 17th 06, 06:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
David Hettel

Thanks for all the suggestions! What seems to have actually have helped in
my case was this; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126962/en-us It seems to
have been an OS problem in my case.

Old October 17th 06, 07:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Charlie Tame

Thank you David, it is always helpful when someone posts a solution.

I checked in W2003 Enterprise Server and the values there differ a bit, like
this.

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe
ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=1024,3072,512
Windows=On
SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1
ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2
ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=16

While the article gives

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe
ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=1024,3072
Windows=On
SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1
ServerDll=winsrv:GdiServerDllInitialization,4
ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2
ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=16

Out of interest what did you have running at the time?

Charlie

Old October 17th 06, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
David Hettel

Well I am running Media Center 2005 and my values where as your for W2003
Enterprise Server, I took a chance and increased the 512, value by 256 to
768. The install is less than a week old. I had Outlook, Outlook Express,
Internet Explorer (about 12 windows open), and eWallet open at the time,
along with a number of IBM programs that open in the background normally. As
I read this article the 512 value should have been well beyond what I
needed. Windows Task Manager shows me at about 93 to 95 Processes generally.
Before I made the change I would show that I was using a little less than 1
GB of my 2 GB of memory. Now I seem to be using perhaps a little less
memory. I tested a little after making the change and was able to open 32
Internet Explorer windows, before I got bored with opening windows. Before
the change I would hit a wall at around 24 Internet Explorer windows, where
I could no longer open windows, and sometimes it would occur with as few as
12 windows, or when I clicked on Reply Group.

Old October 18th 06, 12:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Charlie Tame

Well I guess we have to wait and see for a while then. I guess it may be a
task that's not returning memory properly or something so maybe the
unusually high setting is now avoiding that.

Charlie