Inbox Header Selection Problem

Old October 20th 06, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Default Inbox Header Selection Problem

Thanks for sticking with it for so long, all of you; now over to XP........

Andy I.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
: Windows XP General Newsgroup:
: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...dowsxp.general
: --
: Bruce Hagen
: MS-MVP Outlook Express
: ~IB-CA~
:
: "Andy" [email protected] wrote in message
: ...
: Hi............. any one still out there?
: The latest: With a borrowed keyboard, shutting down using Hibernation
: (and
: that infamous Shift key.....) and opening up again, produces exactly the
: same problem.
:
: Can I now rule out "Sticky Shift Key"; also Outlook Express since the
: problem appears not only in the E-Mail Inbox list, but also in "My
: Documents", "My Music", etc.?
:
: Thanks.
: Andy I.
:
:
:

Old October 21st 06, 12:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gary Smith

Okay, that makes it pretty clear what the problem is. The shift key is
held down when hibernate is initiated, and it saves the state of that key
and restores it when the system comes out of hibernation. The release of
the shift key goes unnoticed. When the system comes back up, it behaves
as if the shift key were held down until the keyboard handler sees a
release code. This is an error in design, but I don't have any idea how
you could get around it. There may be a way to set up a shortcut to
invoke Hibernate without using the shift key. Here's one reference I
found:
http://computerkid.blogspot.com/2005...ut-for-xp.html
Do a Google search for shortcut+hibernate for others.

Andy [email protected] wrote:
Hi Gary .

You may be on to something with :
"Do you see the problem if you depress and release the Shift key before
doing anything else when you wake the machine up?"
As I said earlier somewhere in this long thread: when I wake the machine up
and open OE Inbox and select a header halfway down the list, all the headers
above that level are hi-lited, BUT if I now depress and release the Shift
key, the problem immediately vanishes............................

If your thoughts re a defect in Hibernation are correct, can Hibernation be
"mended"?

BTW, in XP HOME SP2 ( to which I've just migrated from 98 SE on a new PC) I
use START | TURN OFF COMPUTER | hover over the STAND BY button and get a
notice "To hibernate hold down the shift key". The STAND BY button changes
to HIBERNATE which I then press.

Andy I.

"Gary Smith" wrote in message
: How does initiating hibernation involve the shift key? (I don't use XP or
: hibernate, so I'm not familiar with this area.) It sounds to me like what
: you're seeing is a defect in Hibernate that is saving the state of the
: shift key and restoring it when the machine comes out of hibernation. Do

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio
Old October 21st 06, 03:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Pop`

There's a file at grc.com, Steve Gibson's Research that will do what I
believe the OP wants. It's called wizmo. Below are some, not all, of its
features; Hibernate is one of the options. I use this program reglarly and
find it very useful:

Quick Reference

.. blackout

blackout monitors(s) while leaving them on.

.. desktop

blank monitors(s) to the desktop color.

.. blank

Activate system's screen blanker.

.. autoblank=

Enable/Disable timed blanking.

.. monoff

Power off system monitor(s).

.. standby

Place the computer in standby mode.

.. hibernate

Cause the computer to hibernate.

.. logoff

Logs off the current user.

.. exit

Exits from Windows.

.. reboot

Exits then restarts Windows.

.. open

Opens/ejects system's CDROM.

.. open=

Open/eject specific drive.

.. close

Closes system's CDROM.

.. close=

Closes specific drive.

.. volume=

Set system's audio volume (0-100).

.. mute=

Enable or disable the system's audio.

.. play=

Play the specified wave file.

.. wave=

Set the wave volume only (0-100).

.. shake=

Specify mouse sensitivity.

.. quiet

Suppress Wizmo's action sound.

.. graviton

Activate the built-in screen saver.

.. particles=

Set the number of gravitational bodies.

.. line

Diagonal particle alignment.

.. grid=

Rectangular grid particle alignment.

.. trails=

Set the length of particle trails.

.. gravity=

Specify the inter-particle attraction.

.. sun=

Create a centered gravitational sun.

.. blackhole=

Create an invisible gravity well.

.. infinite

Open the screen borders.

.. elastic

Elastic screen borders.

.. stop

Screen borders stop particles.

HTH
Pop`

"Gary Smith" wrote in message
How does initiating hibernation involve the shift key? (I don't
use XP or hibernate, so I'm not familiar with this area.) It
sounds to me like what you're seeing is a defect in Hibernate that
is saving the state of the shift key and restoring it when the
machine comes out of hibernation. Do you see the problem if you

Old October 21st 06, 07:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Very ingenious, Gary. Thanks. If that's the case then at least I
understand the reason for the problem, even if I can't fix it.
I've set up the shortcut as per your instructions. It works! and no problem
as yet, but I'll have to retest it a few more times since the problem is
erratic.
Although the HDD and the fan stop, same as START | HIBERNATE, the PC Power
Lamp stays on, unlike START | Hibernate.

BTW, there's a "Sleep" button on my KB which acts the same as START | STAND
BY. After using either of these, the system reopens with any programs or
documents left open still intact, just like Hibernate, and just like
Hibernate, the HDD stops, the PC lamps go out, but unlike Hibernate the fan
keeps running..... strange?

Andy I.

Old October 21st 06, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Correction: using the new shortcut to Hibernate, the PC Power lamp *does*
go out.

Sorry.
Andy I.

[...]
: ...

Old October 22nd 06, 03:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gary Smith

Excellent. It sounds like that may be your best approach. If you put the
shortcut on the Quick Launch bar, you can hibernate with a single click.

Andy [email protected] wrote:
[...]

: ...

Old October 22nd 06, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Right, Gary! I've just done that, five minutes ago............ You must be
psychic (:-). I moved it from the desktop.

Thanks for your concern.
Andy I.

OE INbox Problem Skip Outlook Express 4 April 21st 06 09:27 AM
OE Inbox problem Skip Outlook Express 9 April 15th 06 03:33 PM
OE6 - Problem Sending from within InBox Fred Outlook Express 5 April 12th 06 10:16 PM
INBOX problem jojo Outlook - General Queries 2 January 21st 06 06:14 PM
Inbox problem News at CWNet Outlook - General Queries 0 January 14th 06 12:52 AM