Inbox Header Selection Problem

Old October 18th 06, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Default Inbox Header Selection Problem

Hi Steve.

"We are watching you :-)" !! Sounds ominous..... but thanks for the
continued interest.
The change didn't sort it. The problem returns after hibernating using
either "Shift" key, 'though it may not. The problem has always been
intermittent. (I hate these.)
Incidentally, the hi-lighted block of headers vanishes with one stroke of
that !**?!! "Shift" key, every time, and everything goes back to normal.
While the problem is going on, if I click on "My Computer", I get a very
strange notice:

"Confirm Explore Action". "Choosing to 'Explore' 25 items at once may take
a long time and cause your computer to respond slowly." "Continue?"

This happens only when the problem is going on, i.e. the block of headers is
hi-lited. Seems as if there may be a connection.
Andy I. (AMD 3200Hz; 250GB HDD; 1GB RAM)

Old October 19th 06, 11:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

[...]

Hi Andy, does this behaviour occur if you shut down from the start menu
instead of hibernating from the KBrd shortcuts?
You might want to review the other suggestions in the thread, create a new
ID in OE and import your settings,
or
Get Spybot and AdAware.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]

Old October 19th 06, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Thanks Steve. I don't Hibernate from the KB. I use START | TURN OFF
COMPUTER | HIBERNATE, which involves using the Shift key, and in reply to
an earlier question which I was unable to answer at the time, the problem
*does* exist outside of OE. It affects any list, not only OE folders, e.g.
My Documents, My Pictures, etc. Could this rule out OE as being the
culprit?

I have SpyBot and AdAware and use them regularly.

Andy I.

:
: Hi Andy, does this behaviour occur if you shut down from the start menu
: instead of hibernating from the KBrd shortcuts?
: You might want to review the other suggestions in the thread, create a new
: ID in OE and import your settings,
: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q209169
: or
: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;827315
: Get Spybot and AdAware.
:
: --
: Regards Steve.
: MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]
:
:

Old October 19th 06, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"Andy" [email protected] wrote in message

Thanks Steve. I don't Hibernate from the KB. I use START | TURN OFF
COMPUTER | HIBERNATE, which involves using the Shift key, and in reply to
an earlier question which I was unable to answer at the time, the problem
*does* exist outside of OE. It affects any list, not only OE folders,
e.g.
My Documents, My Pictures, etc. Could this rule out OE as being the
culprit?

I have SpyBot and AdAware and use them regularly.

Andy I.

Sure looks like a system or hardware problem rather than just OE?
I will repeat my first contribution to this thread Andy:
"Try a different keyboard, your shift key is probably stuck?"
Borrow one if you don't own a spare?
Best of luck.
--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]

Old October 19th 06, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Thanks Steve. You're very patient!

I'll borrow another KB, but I've already found that using the "other" shift
key on this KB gets the same result when Hibernating.
Maybe I should just forgo Hibernating..... 'sfunny, nobody has suggested
that; but I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Andy I.

:

Old October 20th 06, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gary Smith

How does initiating hibernation involve the shift key? (I don't use XP or
hibernate, so I'm not familiar with this area.) It sounds to me like what
you're seeing is a defect in Hibernate that is saving the state of the
shift key and restoring it when the machine comes out of hibernation. Do
you see the problem if you depress and release the Shift key before doing
anything else when you wake the machine up?

Andy [email protected] wrote:

[...]

Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio
Old October 20th 06, 03:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Hi Gary .

You may be on to something with :
"Do you see the problem if you depress and release the Shift key before
doing anything else when you wake the machine up?"
As I said earlier somewhere in this long thread: when I wake the machine up
and open OE Inbox and select a header halfway down the list, all the headers
above that level are hi-lited, BUT if I now depress and release the Shift
key, the problem immediately vanishes............................

If your thoughts re a defect in Hibernation are correct, can Hibernation be
"mended"?

BTW, in XP HOME SP2 ( to which I've just migrated from 98 SE on a new PC) I
use START | TURN OFF COMPUTER | hover over the STAND BY button and get a
notice "To hibernate hold down the shift key". The STAND BY button changes
to HIBERNATE which I then press.

Andy I.

Old October 20th 06, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy

Hi............. any one still out there?
The latest: With a borrowed keyboard, shutting down using Hibernation (and
that infamous Shift key.....) and opening up again, produces exactly the
same problem.

Can I now rule out "Sticky Shift Key"; also Outlook Express since the
problem appears not only in the E-Mail Inbox list, but also in "My
Documents", "My Music", etc.?

Thanks.
Andy I.

Old October 20th 06, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"Andy" [email protected] wrote in message
Hi............. any one still out there?
The latest: With a borrowed keyboard, shutting down using Hibernation
(and
that infamous Shift key.....) and opening up again, produces exactly the
same problem.

Can I now rule out "Sticky Shift Key"; also Outlook Express since the
problem appears not only in the E-Mail Inbox list, but also in "My
Documents", "My Music", etc.?

Thanks.
Andy I.

Of course, but not for long - Pub time here - Post to a group concerned with
your OS.
--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]

Old October 20th 06, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Windows XP General Newsgroup:
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

OE INbox Problem Skip Outlook Express 4 April 21st 06 09:27 AM
OE Inbox problem Skip Outlook Express 9 April 15th 06 03:33 PM
OE6 - Problem Sending from within InBox Fred Outlook Express 5 April 12th 06 10:16 PM
INBOX problem jojo Outlook - General Queries 2 January 21st 06 06:14 PM
Inbox problem News at CWNet Outlook - General Queries 0 January 14th 06 12:52 AM