BLANK OE-6 eMail text area in today's and any previous day's email

Old September 26th 06, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dan McGarigle

Default BLANK OE-6 eMail text area in today's and any previous day's email

Today I received 12 new eMails. When I opened one of them, which happened to
by from my ISP, then the text area of the message is completely empty, so I
couldn't read the email from my ISP.

Then on the OE main menu of messages, I right clicked a message, and went
through the messsage's Properties to the point where I was able to read the
"Message Text".

But, when I click on the messages, any of them, in the main OE 6 list of
emails, then they all display "From", "Date" "To" and "Subject" in the
message display window, but the text area of any message that I open is a
completely empty and blank area.

This poroblem started just today around 1:00 PM. Earlier today I was
received emails and thir contents are displayed in each one's message window
when I open them.
I cannot find any "option" that affects the display of message text.
What am I to do to display the contents of any message ?
Old September 26th 06, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Windows version?

OE Tools Options Security Block images... (checked?)

OE Tools Options Read Read all messages in Plain text (checked?)

Is your anti-virus configured to scan incoming & outgoing mail?

Start Run (type in) regsvr32 inetcomm.dll [OK] & reboot Any better?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Old September 26th 06, 03:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dan McGarigle

Default BLANK OE-6 eMail text area in today's and any previous day's e

Hello PA Bear !
My Windows version ? Windows XP Professional, with SP2; all updates are
current.

OE Tools Options Security Block images... is NOT checked

OE Tools Options Read Read all messages in Plain text - is NOT checked

Is your anti-virus configured to scan incoming & outgoing mail ? Yes, but
how would that affect previously received messages, i.e. those received month
or year ago
which all display a "blank message text area" ? I can't see the contents of
ANY emails, old or new today. I use Computer Associates "eTrust" anti-virus.

Start Run (type in) regsvr32 inetcomm.dll [OK] & reboot = NO BETTER.

Also, there are no entries in "Add/Remove Programs" for either Internet
Explorer or
Outlook Express.

Thanks PA Bear !
Dan

Old September 26th 06, 04:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Also, there are no entries in "Add/Remove Programs" for either Internet
Explorer or Outlook Express.

No, and there shouldn't be. wink Both are integral parts of Windows.

1. Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

paste
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
/paste

2. If the behavior persists, your current Identity may have been damaged by
the Email Scanning, especially if its the default Main Identity. Try one or
more of your accounts in a new Named Identity (File Identities Add new
identity). Assuming all is well, (1) compact all folders in the old
identity, (2) import messages from the old identity into the new one, and
then (3) delete the old one (File Identities Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- WinXP SP2 only: If your machine is fully up-to-date at Windows Update,
installing the following patch (KB918766) will help to avoid such data loss
in the futu
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-98af2256ccc3

This patch will be included in the next Cumulative Update for Outlook
Express/WinXP SP2.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~PA Bear

Old September 26th 06, 04:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Dan McGarigle" wrote in message
[...]

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/blnkmess.htm

Several possible causes and therefore several possible fixes:
1. Go to Start | Run and type
regsvr32 inetcomm.dll
and press Enter
If this doesn't work carry out step 6 and then repeat this step.
2. Go to Tools | Options | Read | Fonts and set Western (ISO) as the
default.
3. Clear Temporary Internet Files and the Temp folder.
4. Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus.
5. Someone else reported that re-installing OE using the last method in
this article fixed the problem:
How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
Method 2 works on earlier versions of Windows.
6. Eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
especially
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm#Coolwebsearch

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated before every use, even when just
downloaded. There's also a lot more to do than just those two programs.
CWShredder is also available he
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem try step one
(regsvr32 inetcomm.dll) again.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old September 26th 06, 09:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dan McGarigle

Here are your previous steps, and my results.

1. Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. - My eTRust Anti-V
never did scan any eMails.

2. Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive............
I have not used ANY Symantec production more than a year, and never will
again. I use only CA eTrust anti-virus.

3. If the behavior persists, your current Identity may have been
damaged..........
I exported all my eMails. Then I exported my address book.
Then I created a new Identity and followed all the instructed steps and
installed the patch, KB918766.
Then I tried to import my messages and got an errorthat said that "an
error occured during
the import process", and no messages were imported to the new Identity.
The I returned to my old Main Identity. The same situation exists in
that all the emails are listed,
but when I open any of them the message text area is still all blank.
Also my address book is now empty, and when I tried to re-import it I
got a message that said that
"an error occured during the import process" and now my address book is
completely empty
in both the Main and the New identity.

Now what boss ?

Dan

Old September 27th 06, 08:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

My eTRust Anti-V never did scan any eMails.

CA (AKA e-Trust) Anti-Virus 2007 scans email and I'm pretty sure all
previous versions do as well:
http://home2.ca.com/DRHM/servlet/Con...tID=5 0698000

I have not used ANY Symantec production more than a year

What Norton application was it (e.g., NAV 2004, NIS 2005)? Did you uninstall
it via Add/Remove Programs AND then run the appropriate Symantec removal
tool to clean up the "remainders" that are ALWAYS left behind? Either may
be the source of your problem.

You don't need to export/import anything. After disabling Email Scanning
(check with CA/e-Trust Support or your AV app's Help), simply open the new
identity File Import Messages Select OE6 option Point the wizard
to the other identity's store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain) ...

The new identity's Address Book will contain everything in the old
identity's, as long as the new identity was created in the same (WinXP) User
Profile. See http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm (including Command Line
Switches).

Then I tried to import my messages and got an error that said that "an
error occured..."

It's a moot point now but not knowing how or to where/what you exported the
messages or how you tried to import them, I can't help you with this. (See
below.)

Also my address book is now empty...

Your original Address Book? Is MS Office and/or Outlook also installed? Do
you think you had more than 999 contacts in Address Book? Did you select
(Address Book) View All files and folders, and make sure you've looked in
all folders (e.g., Shared Contacts)?
[i]
installed the patch, KB918766.

Did you reboot after installing it?

Look OE Help About Files: What versions of MSOE.DLL, INETCOMM.DLL and
DIRECTDB.DLL are displayed here?

If all else fails, you should have an automatically created/maintained
backup of Address Book. It should have a WAB~ extension (e.g., Dan.wab~)
and it should be located in the same folder as your regular Address Book
(e.g., Dan.wab): Open the now-empty Address Book and click on Help About
to see the store folder where it resides, then look in that folder for it.

NB: In WinXP, Win2K and Win2K03, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by
default marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must
enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start Control Panel Folder
Options View.

If you rename, e.g., Dan.wab~ to Dan1.wab (Do NOT rename it to the same name
as your regular Address Book!), you'll be able to open it. Do all contacts
appear in it? Are there close to 999 contacts? (You should be able to
import the contents of Dan1.wab into Dan.wab, but please do NOT attempt this
yet.)

Backup & Restore OE Data
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/index.htm
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

OE Files & Settings
http://www.insideoe.com/files/index.htm

OE Registry Keys
http://www.insideoe.com/files/regkeys.htm

Importing OE Data (all DBX files, including Folders.dbx)
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

NB: If you exported data to a CD or DVD, you cannot import directly from
there. And you backup set MUST include a file named Folders.dbx or the
import won't work.

Old September 28th 06, 05:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dan McGarigle

This problem has been solved by one of the guys in the Windows XP Systems
group.
under CASE_ID_NUM: SRX060927603232 today, 09/27/2006

My original problem was that the installation phase for the recent update
tothe Microsoft VM ended with the error message that said "This update vcan
only be applied to a current installation of Microsoft VM".

That was compounded by the "Blank Message Text Area" in Outlook Express 6.0
and things really got fishy when one of the KB procedures that I was
instructed by the KB to run wanted me to "regsvr32 msjava.dll" and THAT
failed because "msjava.dll" could not be found.

This was all resolved and fixed by our manual download from Sun.com of the
Sun Java package. When we first attempted to download and install Sun's Java,
then an on-line installation process ran from their web page and said that I
had installed the current Sun Java. But, THAT was not true.

So we found the manual download of the Sun Java VM, all 16Mb of it,
downloaded and installed it and that immediately
started Text to display in the Outlook Express when I click on any eMail in
OE6.

We still don't know how my Microsoft VM was missing the msjava.dll, but now
OE6, and the address book too, works just fine.

So, thanks to everyone for your help with this case. I am sure glad I stuck
with Microsoft's approach to fixing the problem. It's been an interesting 3
days for me,
and I am grateful to all of you.

Case SRX060927603232 has been closed and this is one happy camper.
Now, where's those hot dogs ?.

Many thanks

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/blnkmess.htm