File attachment size limits

Old August 16th 06, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gene Hora

Default File attachment size limits

Just changed from SBC Yahoo to Road Runner and find file attachments have a
limit of 5 MB. Every week I must send 2 separate files of 10-14 MB to the
same recipient. I tried breaking them into 4096 kb groups but he only
receives the separate files, not the attachment. I use a PC setup, he has a
Macintosh setup.

I've sent the same file as a test to myself and received it OK. Does anyone
know of a commercial e-mail program that will allow me to do this that isn't
too expensive? Is Eudora a program that would accomplish this? Road Runner
offered a program with a 10 MB limit for $69.95 a MONTH!

Appreciate any wisdom or thoughts on this. Thanks.

Old August 16th 06, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

The problem is likely that the recipient's mail program doesn't know how
to put the parts back together automatically. You received it OK
because OE knows how to do that.

As an alternative to e-mailing large files, there are a number of web
sites that let you upload your file to them and then send an e-mail link
for the file to your recipient who can then download the file when they
desire. This lets you get around the message and mailbox size limits of
the sender's and recipient's ISPs, may result in faster upload and
download since encoding is not required and may be more convenient for
the recipient. Such web sites include dropload.com and yousendit.com

Old August 16th 06, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:21:12 GMT, Gene Hora wrote:

Just changed from SBC Yahoo to Road Runner and find file attachments have a
limit of 5 MB. Every week I must send 2 separate files of 10-14 MB to the
same recipient. I tried breaking them into 4096 kb groups but he only
receives the separate files, not the attachment. I use a PC setup, he has a
Macintosh setup.

I've sent the same file as a test to myself and received it OK. Does anyone
know of a commercial e-mail program that will allow me to do this that isn't
too expensive? Is Eudora a program that would accomplish this? Road Runner
offered a program with a 10 MB limit for $69.95 a MONTH!

Appreciate any wisdom or thoughts on this. Thanks.

You just changed from the most generous ISP (20MB email) to one of the
most stingy ISPs (5MB email).

In any case, sending large files is best done by some alternative to
email, which was never designed for sending files. Most attachments are
not straight text, and have to be MIME encoded for SMTP, which means
inflating the file size by 33%, or more. This is especially ironic for
..zip files; you "zip" it to reduce the file size, then you attach it in
your email client, which inflates the file size!

Aside from Michael's suggestions, there are other ways to work around
this limitation. Secure FTP and VPN come to mind.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old August 16th 06, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gene Hora

Thanks much for the quick, helpful response. Your last paragraph seems a
good way to go and I will check it out.

Old August 16th 06, 08:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Adding a ~4.1MB attachment to a 1KB email gives you a ~5.4MB message, Gene.
There are more efficient ways to transfer such large amounts of data (e.g.,
Instant Messengers' "Send a file"; ftp).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old August 21st 06, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gene Hora

I was the original poster and one of the MVPs (I can't be certain who it
was) suggested a couple of on-line sites that allowed posting of large files
for "pick-up" by the recipient. This was an excellent suggestion and really
resolved my problem. I can send out my twice weekly 10-14 MB files very
efficiently. At the present I'm using one of the suggested sites:
www.dropload.com but may change to one that appears to be a little better
for my needs www.yousendit.com -- A belated "thanks" for the great help to
whomever!

BTW there are quite a few of these types of web sites; I was surprised to
learn.

Gene Hora