Attachment problems

Old July 23rd 06, 11:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dr Weekes-Money

Default Attachment problems

After installing the latest security updates (as recommended by Microsoft,) I
am suddenly unable to open or save any of the attachments in any of my
folders. The security patches won't let me uninstall them. I have consdered
upgrading to Outlook, but the export function in Outlook Express seems to
have been broken as well. I have even tried a complete reinstall of XP Home,
and though I was then able to open the attachments again when I first
installed it, as soon as I installed MS's updates, the attachments stopped
working again. There is no error message when I try to open attachments, and
when I try to save them I am told to check my free disk space and try again.
I have 122GB free!
Old July 23rd 06, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
-Alias-

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:
After installing the latest security updates (as recommended by Microsoft,) I
am suddenly unable to open or save any of the attachments in any of my
folders. The security patches won't let me uninstall them. I have consdered
upgrading to Outlook, but the export function in Outlook Express seems to
have been broken as well. I have even tried a complete reinstall of XP Home,
and though I was then able to open the attachments again when I first
installed it, as soon as I installed MS's updates, the attachments stopped
working again. There is no error message when I try to open attachments, and
when I try to save them I am told to check my free disk space and try again.
I have 122GB free!

Assuming you've got SP2, Tools/Options/Security. Untick the obvious.

Alias
Old July 23rd 06, 11:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dr Weekes-Money

My Security zone is set to internet zone. "Do not allow attachments to be
saved...etc" is not checked.

Old July 23rd 06, 01:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
-Alias-

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:
My Security zone is set to internet zone. "Do not allow attachments to be
saved...etc" is not checked.

And "Block images ..."?

Change your setting to Restricted Zone, although that has nothing to do
with your problem.

Alias

Old July 23rd 06, 01:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dr Weekes-Money

"-Alias-" wrote:

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:
My Security zone is set to internet zone. "Do not allow attachments to be
saved...etc" is not checked.

And "Block images ..."?

Change your setting to Restricted Zone, although that has nothing to do
with your problem.

Alias

Block images is not checked either.
I have now changed my setting to restricted zone, but this hasn't helped.
I'm pretty sure that this is a new "feature" that Microsoft has added,
because I was able to read the same attachments earlier this morning.
Old July 23rd 06, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
-Alias-

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:

"-Alias-" wrote:

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:
My Security zone is set to internet zone. "Do not allow attachments to be
saved...etc" is not checked.

And "Block images ..."?

Change your setting to Restricted Zone, although that has nothing to do
with your problem.

Alias

Block images is not checked either.
I have now changed my setting to restricted zone, but this hasn't helped.
I'm pretty sure that this is a new "feature" that Microsoft has added,
because I was able to read the same attachments earlier this morning.

Are you using Hotmail with OE? I have all the updates and am not
experiencing this problem on three computers so I don't think it's the
updates.

Alias
Old July 23rd 06, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dr Weekes-Money

"-Alias-" wrote:

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:

"-Alias-" wrote:

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:
My Security zone is set to internet zone. "Do not allow attachments to be
saved...etc" is not checked.
And "Block images ..."?

Change your setting to Restricted Zone, although that has nothing to do
with your problem.

Alias

Block images is not checked either.
I have now changed my setting to restricted zone, but this hasn't helped.
I'm pretty sure that this is a new "feature" that Microsoft has added,
because I was able to read the same attachments earlier this morning.

Are you using Hotmail with OE? I have all the updates and am not
experiencing this problem on three computers so I don't think it's the
updates.

Alias

Not using Hotmail, I have accounts with Yahoo and Force9.net. However, these
messages have already been downloaded to OE6, and I have been able to open
the attachments previously.
Old July 23rd 06, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dr Weekes-Money

Steve, these tips didn't help. They are for SP1 glitches. I have been on SP2
for some time, and it's only recenly that my attachments have become
unavailable. I would expect that if OE6 were deliberately blocking anything
it would say so. I do not get any error messages when I try to open
attachments. Nothing happens at all.

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

See if this helps or any of the links referenced in that point do:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#1

steve

"Dr Weekes-Money" Dr wrote in
message ...

Old July 23rd 06, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
-Alias-

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:

"-Alias-" wrote:

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:
"-Alias-" wrote:

Dr Weekes-Money wrote:
[...]

Last ditch suggestion: tick the Do not allow attachments ..." and "Block
images ..." and then close OE. Open it again. Untick them. Close it
again. Open it and see if there's any joy. Also, try right clicking on
Internet Explorer/Properties and click on the Delete Files button and
tick Delete all off line content, click OK. If neither works, perhaps
your identity is corrupt. Create a new identity, import everything from
the old one and, if it works properly, delete the old identity.

Alias