OE6 Crashes after Security Update

Old July 16th 06, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
laser770

Default OE6 Crashes after Security Update

I am using XP Pro with Service Pack 2 installed. After a recent automatic
security up date I lost both IE 6 and OLE 6. I followed Microsoft's reinstall
guidelines and all came back until I downloaded the security update for OLE
6. Than I got the error Msoe.dll could not load. and OLE 6 would not open

I have uninstalled and reinstall 3 times and each time OLE 6 works until I
try to run the security update patch for it. Than I get that same error.

I have even tried to reload the Service Pack XP2 and get the Same results.
As of now everything is working and I have auto update turned off but windows
is giving me a security alert because I have not updated OLE 6
Old July 16th 06, 07:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

laser770 wrote:
I am using XP Pro with Service Pack 2 installed. After a recent
automatic security up date I lost both IE 6 and OLE 6. I followed
Microsoft's reinstall guidelines and all came back until I downloaded
the security update for OLE
6. Than I got the error Msoe.dll could not load. and OLE 6 would not
open

I have uninstalled and reinstall 3 times and each time OLE 6 works
until I try to run the security update patch for it. Than I get that
same error.

I have even tried to reload the Service Pack XP2 and get the Same
results. As of now everything is working and I have auto update
turned off but windows is giving me a security alert because I have
not updated OLE 6

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/directdb.htm

Errors in DIRECTDB.DLL or MSOE.DLL generally indicate corruption in the
message store. Start by moving Folders.dbx to an empty Windows folder.
You
will lose your folder hierarchy and the lists of newsgroups on the news
servers, but it might get you into OE.

If that doesn't do it then move all of the DBX files to the same folder
as
Folders.dbx. You should now get into OE. Try importing the messages from
the
folder you moved the DBX files to. If you can't, you can use this tool
extract the messages:

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/

Note: It can take a long time (days with really large folders).

The messages can then be dragged from the Windows folder back into a
folder
in an open instance of OE

Do not archive mail in any of the default folders of OE, move them to
folders created by you under Local Folders.

Do this at least once a week - Filework offline. Filefoldercompact
all folders.

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Old July 16th 06, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Start he http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)