Outlook Express 6 Missing Messages ?

Old July 1st 06, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Just Me

Default Outlook Express 6 Missing Messages ?

I have several sub folders under Inbox which contained lots of e-mail. I was
asked to compact all folders when exiting the program to save space. I did.
Now when I go to the sub folders there are "No Messages" in there now. When
I go to Identities\Microsoft\Outlook Express in windows explorer there are
some large files which means to me that the messages are still there. Also
the View in all the sub folders is set to "show all messages"

Any ideas how to get them to show up again.

Old July 1st 06, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

The files are full of zeroes. Try opening them in Notepad and you will see
that they are blank.

For the future see points 2 and 3 he www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx There
is a "fix" for the compaction bug. And backup frequently.

I think the only shot you have at recovery is to try the extract from disk
feature of DBXpress (www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/). It will search every disk
cluster on the hard drive for messages and not just the files.

steve

. ..

Old July 1st 06, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Just Me" wrote in message
. ..
I have several sub folders under Inbox which contained lots of e-mail. I
was asked to compact all folders when exiting the program to save space. I
did. Now when I go to the sub folders there are "No Messages" in there now.
When I go to Identities\Microsoft\Outlook Express in windows explorer there
are some large files which means to me that the messages are still there.
Also the View in all the sub folders is set to "show all messages"

Any ideas how to get them to show up again.

If you have WinXP SP2 you will want this update:
There are two articles, KB918766 and KB918651, but the latter is not
currently available. The download link is

It places the backup in Recycled, overwriting any earlier backup of the
sane folder(s). To use it, copy it to the store folder, delete the one you
want to replace and then rename the BAK file to DBX. (It's a bit more
complicated if the messed up DBX file isn't there or contains messages that
are hew that you want to keep.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old July 28th 06, 08:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jose fontes

hi

"Just Me" escreveu na mensagem
. ..

missing messages Barry Outlook Express 6 June 13th 06 07:11 PM
Missing messages Ron Outlook Express 4 June 9th 06 06:46 AM
missing messages SP Outlook Express 3 May 15th 06 10:02 PM
Missing Messages Wincey Outlook Express 2 April 21st 06 12:21 PM
missing messages TongSlinger Outlook Express 2 March 20th 06 03:21 PM