Can't open Link in New Window

Old June 6th 06, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michel Merlin

Default Can't open Link in New Window

On my main desktop system, W2KSP4 US quite up to date:

Suddenly, since this morning, I can't any more open an HTML web
page:

- by Shift-clicking a link in another IE page
- by Right-Clicking that link and chosing "Open in New Window"
- by Drag-and-Dropping the link from an OE message to an
existing IE window
- by clicking a link in an OE message

In any of these instances the symptoms are the same: the newly
opened IE window immediately gets a larger IE icon in the
taskbar (like PDF pages) and immediately gets unresponding - but
still is referenced as "Running" in Task Manager, however
nothing will get it back to life (even trying to open any other
link by any other way), all I can do is close it (surprisingly
it will respond to that "close" order, no matter if through the
× icon in the upper right corner, or by any other way).

I recall that normally, a page that can't be reached triggers a
"404" page, but never makes the window unresponding. And
apparently the involved pages were not unreachable.

Weird, immediately after a page refuses to open, I still can
open the very same web page:

- by Left-clicking the very same link in the very same initial
IE window
- by Right-clicking the very same link, chosing "Copy Shortcut",
opening a new IE window (from its icon in Quick Launch),
Pasting that URL in the Address Bar of that IE window;
- *once the link has been open*, by any of the ways that were
not working first.

I then continue surfing, and the process continues: about any
link I Left-click, it works; about any link I Right-Click or
"Open in New Window" or Drag-and-Drop, it makes the new window
unresponsive (and I can only close that window), but I still can
immediately open the very same page, provided it is by direct
clicking or typing.

Have I inadvertently touched something wrong? or did MU
(Microsoft Update) slip in something wrong? Thanks to any help,

Paris, Tue 6 Jun 2006 17:40:00 +0200

Old June 6th 06, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Use the following newsgroup for questions or problems with IE6

You can also get to the Internet Explorer newsgroups via this web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
There select Internet Explorer

Old June 7th 06, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michel Merlin

Default SOLVED: Can't open Link in New Window - Thanks!

Thanks (I admit I was lazy retrieving the appropriate NG in
MS' fuzzy organized NG set).

There, before reposting, I browsed and found the fix:

IE Tools Internet Options Advanced Browsing:
clear "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts"

as explained in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241911

and kindly recalled by the "Related Message" I link hereafter.

Thanks Michael and Vincenzo! And my apologies for not wondering
enough by myself. You actually saved me time!

Paris, Wed 7 Jun 2006 13:27:00 +0200

----- Related Message (links are clickable) -----
Old June 7th 06, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Michel Merlin wrote:

Thanks (I admit I was lazy retrieving the appropriate NG in
MS' fuzzy organized NG set).

There, before reposting, I browsed and found the fix:

IE Tools Internet Options Advanced Browsing:
clear "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts"

as explained in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241911

and kindly recalled by the "Related Message" I link hereafter.

Thanks Michael and Vincenzo! And my apologies for not wondering
enough by myself. You actually saved me time!

YW. Glad to help and thanks for the feedback, Michel.

From: "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]"
Newsgroup:

From: "Michael Santovec"
Newsgroup: