Importing email messages

Old April 29th 06, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
genmania

Default Importing email messages

I, too, have been having difficulty importing messages from an old computer
to a new one. The old one used OE6 as does the new one. I was able to export
the old messages in .dbx format but when I try to follow the various
procedures I've found for importing, when I browse to select the path and
click next, the new OE6 displays an error message that reads: "No messages
can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the
required files open. Please select another folder or try closing applications
that may have files open." I've tried the traditionally suggested method of
importing-File|Import|Messages|Select Program|Import Mail from OE6 store
directory|Browse. I have also tried the below mentioned procedure of creating
a new Windows folder and consistently received the same message. What do I do
now?

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

quote
but how do you create a Windows folder?
/quote

You can create the folder anywhere. My Documents for example. Open My Doc's
| File | New | Folder. Now, copy the CD to this folder. After you do, right
click on the folder and uncheck: Read Only. Go into OE and File | Import |
Messages. Choose Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and browse to the folder you
created.

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

"Jennifer" wrote in message
I have a disk of back up emails, all with a .dbx extension. I cannot
simply
double-click to open, but would like to import them to my OE. I read
"simply" create them in a Windows folder, but how do you create a Windows
folder?

Thanks.

Old April 29th 06, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Did you uncheck the Read Only attribute before trying to import? And, did
you include Folders.dbx?

See:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old April 29th 06, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
genmania

Well, when I finally found out how to do that, I saw the box was not checked.
Please explain you mean by including Folders.dbx.

Old April 29th 06, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I assumed you copied the dbx files from the message store to a CD, and then
copied the CD to your HDD on the new machine. The link I provided explains
it all.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old April 29th 06, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
genmania

Oh, I get it. Sorry, I missed that part. I'll try that. Thanks.

Old July 29th 06, 05:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
sharonr

Hello Bruce,

I have the basically the same problem as Genmania below but with a little
twist. Here's how my problem differs. My son wiped out my entire system and
re-installed Windows XP, Outlook express 6, etc. Before he did that he
copied my entire inbox from the old Outlook Express. I have the inbox, which
is a dbx file, back on my hard drive -- it's a folder in 'my documents'.
I've unchecked 'read only'. Problem I have is that he didn't copy any dbx
folders you refer to below as back-up before he wiped out the hard drive to
re-installed Windows XP. When I try to import from folder, I receive same
error message Genmania below received:
No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running
that has the required files open. Please select another folder or try
closing applications that may have files open."

Have I lost all of my old outlook folders and emails because of this?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,

Sharon Rouse

Old July 29th 06, 07:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

Rename the old Inbox that you saved to something personal (Sharon.dbx).
In OE, create a folder under Local Folders named exactly the same -
Sharon.
Open the newly created folder once, even though there is nothing in it.
You MUST do this step.
Close OE.
Open Windows Explorer.
Find and drag and drop the old Inbox (renamed Sharon) into OE's message
store.
It will ask if you want to overwrite, say yes.
Open OE and all should be well.

(I'm not Bruce but hope I will do? For future reference, it's best to
start your own thread and not append to someone else's.)
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Old July 29th 06, 03:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
sharonr

Thanks very much Kath ........I will try this.

Regards,

Sharon Rouse

Old July 29th 06, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
-Alias-

SharonR wrote:
Hello -- I'm not able to locate "OE message store". Pls advise -- thanks!

Sharon Rouse

Search for .dbx and make sure that the search includes hidden files.

Alias