Can I send to a list of recipients, but each recipient sees only his own address ?

Old April 23rd 06, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ggull

Default Can I send to a list of recipients, but each recipient sees only his own address ?

I'd like to be able to send a message to a list of people (about a dozen if
it makes a diff) so that
(1) each recipient does not see the other addresses
(2) it does appear addressed to the recipient instead of "undisclosed
recipients"

If I create a group, and put that group in the "To" field, everyone sees a
long list of individual email addresses in that field.

If I put the group in the BCC field, it seems everyone just sees
"undisclosed recipient" which I'm worried they or their system may treat as
spam (wasn't there a thread here recently on how to weed out BCC spam?).

Is there a way within OE to send to a list (group, whatever) so it appears
as if it's just a bunch of individual emails: one to Fred, one to Fiona, one
to George, etc ?

Old April 23rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You can't have the recipients see only their address, but read this top to
bottom and you will find other solutions I believe you can live with.

To use the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) feature, In Create Mail, either click
ViewAll Headers and type in the addresses separated by a ;

Or: Click the To button. You will see your list of contacts and the choice
of putting them in the To, CC, or BCC field. Click on an address, then click
BCC to add it. Repeat for all the contacts you want. (Note: Most ISP's have
limits as to how many e-mails you can send a one time. 25 is common, but it
varies).

Put your own address in the To box. This is the only address/name that any
recipient will see. If you leave the To field blank, some people may not
receive the e-mail due to message rules they have set up, or restrictions
set by their ISP.

You can also create groups if you send mail to the same people often.

To create a group of contacts:

You can create a single group name (or alias) to use when sending a message
to several contacts at once. Simply create a group name and add individual
contacts to the group. Then, just type the group name in the To box when you
send e-mail.

1.. In the Address Book, select the folder in which you want to create a
group. Click New on the toolbar, and then click New Group.
2.. The Properties dialog box opens. In the Group Name box, type the name
of the group.
3.. There are several ways to add people to the group:
a.. To add a person from your Address Book list, click Select Members,
and then click a name from the Address Book list.
b.. To add a person directly to the group without adding the name to
your Address Book, type the person's name and e-mail address in the lower
half of the Properties dialog box, and then click Add.
c.. To add a person to both the group and your Address Book, click New
Contact and fill in the appropriate information.
d.. To use a directory service, click Select Members, and then click
Find. Select a directory service from the drop-down list at the end of the
text box.
After finding and selecting an address, it is automatically added to
your Address Book.
4.. Repeat for each addition until your group is defined.
Note

a.. To view a list of your groups separately from the Address Book
listings, in the Address Book, on the View menu, make sure that Folders and
Groups is selected.
b.. You can create multiple groups, and contacts can belong to more than
one group.

If you want to send to a group without all the addresses being shown to each
recipient, open the Address Book and make a new entry. Enter the group name
in the Display field, but use your address. (Some ISPs require a legitimate
address in the To line, and the recipients will know it is from the group).

Click the To button | Enter the group name using your address in the To
field | Enter the Group in the BCC field.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old April 23rd 06, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

If you want each person's name, and only their name, to appear in the TO
field, you need to send a separate message to each person. That is the
nature of mail on the Internet. When you send one piece of mail to
multiple people, they all get identical TO and CC fields. The only way
to get unique TO and/or CC fields is to send separate messages. It's
tedious to do that in OE. There are some bulk mailer programs designed
for this. You might try the shareware sites. There are links to
shareware sites in the URL in my signature. Also, Outlook2000+ can do
this as part of an e-mail/merge.

Old April 24th 06, 05:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ggull

Thanks Bruce and Mike.

I guess what I was really asking, as Mike points out, was whether I could
make OE send a separate message to each member of a list (with the same
subject line and text). Knowing OE doesn't do that, at least I won't keep
banging my head trying to figure it out ;-).

I can live with the BCC method for the little I do. Thanks, Bruce, for the
hint on making the messages appear less "spamlike" by at least having
something in the "To" field, such as my own address.