Identity mail Sub folders dissapeared

Old April 14th 06, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Rake Killer

Default Identity mail Sub folders dissapeared

My system gave me a quick blue screen today while I was working in OE. Upon
restart and opening of OE, all messages within one identity(the one I was
working in when the BS happened) were gone, they folder tree had been reset,
EXCEPT for deleted messages, which were still there.
Additional folders that I had added, "Permanent save", "spam" were gone with
all accompanying messages.

Any thoughts at to what happened?
All other identities remain intact.

Any way to recover what was lost?

Thanks for any help

Old April 15th 06, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Could be the folders.dbx file became corrupted. See:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#foldersdbx

Also, check the Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder for where the
DBX files are stored. Assuming your missing folders are there, once the
folders.dbx file is recreated, you can import the found DBX files via
the procedures listed he
How to import a single mail folder (*.dbx)
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
For an alternate description, see the last paragraph he
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

Old April 15th 06, 11:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Rake Killer

--

I found the .dbx files and several were several doubles of files that were
named with (1) added..I.E

None of the other identities had these, it appears the "working" file is
named without the (1) and wonder if these that are (1) are the old .dbx
files..should i just rename them and see what appears?
nothng really to lose at this point.
I DL'd the extraction tool that you pointed me to...it did nothing but
create empty extraction logs and storage folders of each dbx file.
Could these files just be so far gone i should just let forget about it?
Thanks none the less, i have learned some interesting things about OE.

Old April 15th 06, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

When OE has a problem with a DBX file, it renames it adding the
(number). Those files may be corrupted. But probably have some
recoverable messages. Try the extraction program on them. If it works
and finds messages, they will be EML files (one per message). You can
drag them back into an open OE mail folder.

Old April 16th 06, 09:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
GotBonus

"Michael Santovec" wrote in message
When OE has a problem with a DBX file, it renames it adding the (number).
Those files may be corrupted. But probably have some recoverable
messages. Try the extraction program on them. If it works and finds
messages, they will be EML files (one per message). You can drag them
back into an open OE mail folder.

Appreciate the responses, alas i thingk the .dbx files are lost, cant seem
to recover anything using the extraction program.
Not a huge loss, but irritating.
Thanks again for the knowledge.

Old April 17th 06, 10:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

What extraction program did you use? Some are better than others at
dealing with corrupted files.