Message could not be displayed

Old April 6th 06, 07:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
John Ciccone

Default Message could not be displayed

What does this mean? Using OE6 WinXP. I'll do a Find Message; the filtered
message headers appear; start moving through the messages, but after reading
a few, there's nothing in the body of the message. Just this error message:
"Message could not be displayed".

This happens on all four of my computers. Is there a maximum number of
messages I'm hitting?

TIA for any help.
Old April 6th 06, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Is this for news posts or e-mail?

If e-mail, is it a POP3, IMAP or HTTP mail server? If in doubt, look at
Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Servers.

Old April 6th 06, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
John Ciccone

Is this for news posts or e-mail?

E-mail (I haven't had occasion to try with news posts).

If e-mail, is it a POP3, IMAP or HTTP mail server? If in doubt, look at
Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Servers.

All accounts are POP3.

Best regards,
John

Old April 8th 06, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Usually that error message with a POP3 mail account would indicate a
corrupted DBX file for that mail folder.

But I wouldn't expect that to happen with 4 PCs unless you happened to
have copied the same DBX files to all 4 PCs.

Or are you accessing the same DBX files from all 4 PCs? OE doesn't
officially support that, but people have finagled it via the registry
even though it is prone to problems.

About how many messages do you go through before you hit the problem? I
tried to reproduce that and went through a few dozen messages without
problem.

Old April 8th 06, 02:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
John Ciccone

But I wouldn't expect that to happen with 4 PCs unless you happened to
have copied the same DBX files to all 4 PCs.

Yikes. I probably have, on building new systems, simply copied all dbx files
from the OE directory from one computer to another.

As I move through the 'Found' list, I'll eventually hit email that don't
display except for the error. It can be after five or six. But you made me
realize that they are in a specific folder, and that if I move backwards and
into a new folder, messages are displayed fine. However, in testing just
now, going to that 'bad' folder in OE proper is okay. But then I had NO
messages in my Inbox folder! I had to shut down OE and the Find list. It's
okay on restarting OE.

I've now also discovered that these errors usually happen when I start the
message search to Look In Local Folders and subdirectories. But if I start
search within the aforementioned bad folder, the messages display fine!

Any thoughts?

Is there a way of repairing these dbx files if they're damaged? I have
compacted in the past.

Thank you, Michael.

Best regards,
John Ciccone

Old April 8th 06, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

The way to "repair" a DBX file is to copy/extract what messages you can,
delete the bad folder, create a new folder and copy the files in.

A simple way is to just create a new local folder, then copy the
messages from the bad folder to the new one. If you get some error
messages doing that, you likely have a bad folder.

If you can't copy the messages, you can use one of these utilities to
try and recover messages.

DBXtract - http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx
DBXpress - http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
DBXtend - http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtend/Default.aspx

Old April 9th 06, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Guest

I have no solution for you, but I have experienced similar problems for
years. I think it's just something we have to put up with in OE. Could be
..dbx corruption. Just some observations: As you have experienced, when
searching subfolders can't display message or delete for that matter. I
have also noticed where there are multiple messages with the same subject as
in a flood of spam, it is difficult to delete them. Sometimes if I can find
the 'one' which will allow me to delete it, then I might be able to delete
others. I have also noticed when reading mail, certain messages will pop up
'Outlook Express was unable to send a receipt,' the messages will not be
marked as read. Usually when this happens, I cannot delete them either. I
don't know if any of this is related, but I get the feeling it is. All of
the above has occurred regardless of OS, version of OE, or computer. I
suspect it has to do with the way .dbx files are indexed and that system
becomes taxed as demand rises.

I hope some of this helps, just know you're not the only one.