OE6 -- Reducing DBX File Size?

Old May 21st 10, 07:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Guv Bob

Default OE6 -- Reducing DBX File Size?

Hi Folks,

My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. I tried to compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 MB of empty space).

Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Old May 21st 10, 12:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
VanguardLH[_2_]

Guv Bob wrote:

Hi Folks,

My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. I tried to compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 MB of empty space).

Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

900MB of free disk space is too little for even the OS to run properly.
Time to start shopping around for a bigger disk or a 2nd one to add. In
the meantime, start looking at what you have installed that you can
uninstall, or what data files that aren't much used that you can move
off onto removable media, like a CD/DVD-R[W] disc or flash thumb drive.

Old May 22nd 10, 08:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Guv Bob

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message ...

Go to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk cleanup and run that and see what kind of space you can free up on the hard drive. If you still get the inability to compact the file, then move all the messages to another folder. Then with OE closed, delete the inbox.dbx file. Then you will have a new and very small inbox.

Thanks, Steve. I moved a bunch of files to an external disk and got 2GB of free memory. Also I copied some of the larger DBX files off the primary HD and now can compact folders. The compacting process appears to proceed to completion as normal, but when finished there is no more free disk space, and the compacted DBX files are the same size as the un-compacted files.

Old May 22nd 10, 08:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Guv Bob

Old May 22nd 10, 10:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
VanguardLH[_2_]

Guv Bob wrote:

I moved a bunch of files to an external disk and got 2GB of free
memory. Also I copied some of the larger DBX files off the primary
HD and now can compact folders. The compacting process appears to
proceed to completion as normal, but when finished there is no more
free disk space, and the compacted DBX files are the same size as the
un-compacted files.

So how many files was "3/4 of the e-mails" in the Inbox folder? What
was their total size in kilobytes? You might've deleted some files but
not many files, or you deleted many files but they were all just a
couple kilobytes in size so in total there wasn't many bytes deleted to
then physically purge with a compaction.

Are you sure that the .dbx files you are looking at are in the path used
by Outlook Express? Where are you finding the .dbx files? If you
receive a new e-mail, do you see the timestamp on the inbox.dbx file
also get updated?

NOTE: Do *not* post to newsgroups using quoted-printable format (never
recommended for Usenet posts). In OE, configure its Newsgroup settings
to send using plain-text, use MIME encoding, select None, and set
word-wrap to 72 characters for line length, and indent quoted text using
the "" character.