to transfer OE 6 files to another XP computer

Old May 10th 10, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Default to transfer OE 6 files to another XP computer

The keys are in the registry, so you have to use regedit.

The keys were backed up by OEQB in the backup directory, so you can manually merge them.

But your original question that started this thread was about the Issues you were having on the new machine. I would go and just set up a new Identity and add your accounts there and see that it works and then you can use File | Import | Messages to import the messages from the old Identity or you can try importing from the backup of the old machine.

I don't really know at this point what the problem after all the messages in this thread, so I got back to the original question.

steve

"Jack B" wrote in message ...
Steve,

delete the Identities, the IAM, the WAB keys in the registry.

Is that a regedit operation or merely go to Documents and
Settings\Jack\Local Settings\Applications Data\Identities and delete those
Identities?

merge them back from the older machine

I can't visualize that.
You mean copy the Identities from the Old pc and paste into the New pc at
Documents and Settings\Jack\Local Settings\Applications Data\Identities?

Jack

=====================================

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
No, I meant on the new machine. If you clear the current registry settings
by backing up what apparently is a mess right now, and then delete the
current keys, then you can merge them back from the older machine. Then
copy the dbx files to the location that is set under the "Store Root" value
under the Identities key. (see www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx and
http://www.insideoe.com/files/ for background.

See if that helps.

steve

"Jack B" wrote in message
Steve,

Not sure what your start over point is. Do you mean go to Old pc and
"...backing them up, delete the Identities, the IAM, the WAB keys in the
registry. Etc"? Doing anything with Old pc is very problematic at this
point.

Also, are you saying use Windows Explore and go to Documents and
Settings\Jack\Local Settings\Applications Data\Identities and delete those
identies?

But if New pc ---
(1) How do you " Then merge the ones saved with OEQB"? What exactly does
that mean?
(2) Also, you say "Then copy the dbx files and wab file to the proper
locations" -- since I don't understand (1), I'm not sure just where I'm
copying from and where to. I assume you're saying copy them to the proper
store location in the current working OE identity.

Please help me see exactly what you're saying here.

Thanks.

Jack

================================

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
I would start over. After backing them up, delete the Identities, the
IAM,
the WAB keys in the registry. Then merge the ones saved with OEQB. Then
copy the dbx files and wab file to the proper locations (make sure you
clear
their readonly attribute). Then see if things work. If needed, then you
can replace the faulty wab file with the other one.

steve

"Jack B" wrote in message
Since things with my OE aren't perfect at this point, do you see any
downside to trying this:
Paste "Jack.wab of 2.6 MB" into the backup file of OEFB (or the backup
file
of OEQB) thus replacing the "Jack.wab of 2.7 MB" and then doing a a OEFB
(or
OEQB) complete restore?

Jack

=========================

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message

"Jack B" wrote in message
Bruce,

What spell check were you using?

Word 97, same as on previous pc, and Word is performing spell check for
Word
documents. However, this pc had Open Office already installed. I
wonder if
that's got something to do with it?

Could be Open Office. It's relatively new. Worse case scenario, you could
use a freeware spell check. I do. (Try the new identity first).

Vampirefo Spell Check.

Download it from Major Geeks:

Or download it from SnapFile:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spelloe.html

Or you may like TinySpell. (Checks the spelling as you type).

Download it he
http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/

OE is part of your Windows OS and the only way to reinstall it is to
reinstall the OS.

What is the sense of MS doing that!?

It's been that way from the old Microsoft Mail, (pre OE), right up
through
Vista. Win7 does not include a native e-mail client, (Antdeveryone
bitches
about that).

Anyway, I see there are some who advise a trick for reinstalling:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37258.aspx

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...look-Express-6

What do yoiu think?

Those are actually repairs, and they only wprked fpr SP1a and earlier,
IIRC. Look at the date of the first link. 2002.

Creating a new identity gives you all new dbx files and registry entries.
Not much different than the old Repair & Reinstall, but a heck of a lot
easier.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Jack

================================

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
instead of 300+ name address listings I have 900+

I don't know if that is expected behavior or not. In the seven years
posting to OE, I have never run across this.

Furthermore, none of the folders were imported,

Neither your groups or folders should have imported. There is a
workaround
for that.

Courtesy of Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express

Create a "standalone" WAB file:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/wab.htm#wabexe

Then open your default address book to the group desired and select all
member of the group and copy them to the clipboard (Ctrl+A selects all,
Ctrl+C copies them to the clipboard). Then open your "standalone" WAB
file and paste the contacts into that file (you will have to hit the
Enter
key to OK each entry but it beats typing) and then either copy that wab
file to a floppy disc or export it as CSV file. Otherwise, folders and
groups neither import, nor export.

At this point I just have Main identity. I could create Jack identity,
eliminate Main and try again.

Might as well. The Main identity is more prone to corruption due to some
extra registry keys. I always set up a new named identity any time I
reinstalled Windows and skipped the main identity right from the start.

Also, OE is still not performing Spell Check, and it is not showing the
images in received emails. Perhaps I should try to reinstall OE.

OE is part of your Windows OS and the only way to reinstall it is to
reinstall the OS.

Make sure you're reading in HTML and "Block images........" is not
checked
in Tools | Options | Security.

What spell check were you using? OE doesn't have its own and relies on
Word or a third party app.

Some good Address Book reading he
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jack B" wrote in message
Bruce,

No, I hadn't done that, but now did it.

That did pull in ALL the addesses but list them separately -- is that
what is expected? That is, now instead of 300+ name address listings I
have 900+ because every name with more than only one address is now
listed separately (their name is listed for the default address and
again for each other address that is not the default address).
Naturally, this makes me guess which is really the current defualt
address ( I can figure that out, of course, by opening Jack.wab of 2.6
and going thru each name).

Furthermore, none of the folders were imported, so everybody is still
lumped together. Interestingly, where there were some Groups, it seems
the name is listed once with the current (default) address. But as you
know, when sending emails, yoiu can't pull separate names out of a
Group, only Folders.

So, again, is this what's expected?
At this point I just have Main identity. I could create Jack identity,
eliminate Main and try again.

Also, OE is still not performing Spell Check, and it is not showing the
images in received emails. Perhaps I should try to reinstall OE.

Jack

============================

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
I don't know if you have done this yet, but copy the good Jack.wab of
2.6 MB to the Desktop. Open up OE and then open the Address Book. From
there, File | Import | Address Book (wab) and point to where you saved
it.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jack B" wrote in message
Well, as it turns out, the address book is not right -- it's missing
the latest email addresses. I kept the old email addresses for
people
so I could do a search in the past if needed, and of course made the
most current one the default.

But my little trick "copied and pasted into \...Microsoft\Address
Book\ and voila" produced an address book without the latest email
addresses. That is weird, because when I double click on "Jack.wab of
2.6 MB on the external HD," the correct email addresses show up.

Rats.

Jack

=====================================

"Jack B" wrote in message
Steve,

First, I just want to say that essentially all the data files
(created documants, including images, etc.) have been transferred
from the Old PC to the New PC. I did a major backup to an external
HD at the end of March.

Ok -- I did the search for *~* and that turned up a lot of files.

I was surprised to see a number of such files in a Microsoft Feeds
folder -- is that normal? Almost all such files are dated on the
day I set up the New PC. Some of the others are sort of weird,
i.e.,
billingtypes.php~ which is supposed to be in tools/modules/billing
and that is the entire HD address given!? FYI, billingtypes.php~ is
dated a month earlier.

Anyway, the Jack.wab~ was only 176 kb, not even close to the
Jack.wab
of 2.7 MB. And it didn't work. Also, finding and clicking the the
Jack.wab of 2.7 MB in the OEFB folder, it failed to open. Plus, I
later (after doing OEFB) used OEQB on the Old PC and pasted the
backup results into the New PC, and now finding and clicking the the
Jack.wab of 2.7 MB in the OEQB Backup folder, it also failed to
open.
[Note: I have not attempted the OEQB Restore on the New PC.]

BUT, I did find the Jack.wab of 2.6 MB on the external HD; and, upon
clicking the the Jack.wab of 2.6 MB, it opened. So, I copied and
pasted into \...Microsoft\Address Book\ and voila -- OE on the New
PC
now works (I can SEND and I have the address book)! Yeaay!!

However, all 300+ addresses in the Address Book are not in their
respective folders -- the're all lumped together into one folder .

And, of course, at this point I don't have all my previous messages
and identities and email accounts in OE. So, I'm thinking I can't
lose anything by attempting an OEQB Restore on the New PC --
although
I know the Jack.wab of 2.7 MB in the OEQB Backup file is no good, I
could once again paste the Jack.wab of 2.6 MB into
\...Microsoft\Address Book\ after doing the OEQB Restore on the New
PC. What do you think?

Also, FYI, the Spell Check is not working. I get "An error occurred
while the spelling was being checked."

Jack

==================================

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
Try searching for *~* and if you find a file, then rename it to give
it a wab file extension and then see if it will open. The ~ files
are backups of the address book.

steve

"Jack B" wrote in message
Thanks, but in OE, when I click to open Address Book, I get "The
Address
Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured.
Please
re-install."

Nonetheless, I am able to find the JACKB.WAB file, and the Read
Only
attribute is not checked.

BTW, can you actually reply to this newsgroup thru
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...se_frm/thread?
If so, I don't see how.

Jack

=============================

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message
Complate & complicated thread history suggesting you used the
no-longer-supported OEFB backup from your old computer to migrate
your OE
data to your new computer:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f6a5a24cacdfae

Here's another possibility:

1. Open Address Book | click on Help | about: Write down the
location
displayed in the FILE box.

2. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' via Start | Control
Panel

Folder
Options | View (cf.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial62.html).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the location you wrote down in
above
| right-click on the WAB file (e.g., JACKB.WAB) | select
Properties

remove
the Read Only attribute (if checked/enabled) & OK your way out.

cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269777

Jack B wrote:
Robear --

If so, is there a DWORD named UseOutlook

No, here is what is in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4:

(Default) REG_SZ (Value not set)
FirstRun REG_DWORD 0x00000001(1)
OlkContactRefresh REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)
OlkFolderRefresh REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)

Jack

==============================

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message
canned
. Do you have this Registry key?...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4

. If not, STOP; If so, is there a DWORD named UseOutlook (NB:
no
space)
and
is its value set to 1 (one)?

. If not, STOP; If so, Address Book is configured to share
contacts
with
Outlook, even if you don't use it (can happen with the install
of
Office).
Change the value to 0 (zero), close REGEDIT & reboot: Address
Book
should
be available to you and all should be well. (If that DWORD is
not
present,
don't create it, and don't alter any other DWORD values.)

Note that any changes (additions, deletions, edits) made while
sharing
was
enabled will not be available (displayed) in Address Book when
sharing
is
disabled.

cf. http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm#share and/or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191946
/canned

Jack B wrote:
The only "Outlook" I find with Search is a folder "Outlook" at
MSOffice97\Office\Templates\Outlook\ -- in that folder there
are
several
.oft files and one .dir file, but there is no outlook.exe file
on the
pc.
And, no other "Outlook" turns up in Search except two shortcut
files
that
look for Outlook.exe. The reason for this is no doubt due to
my
adding
the
template files etc. from the Old pc after installing MS Office
Pro 97
on
the
new pc.

When first loading OE on the new pc, there may have been a
question re
Outlook that I might have answered the wrong way.

Jack

========================

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message
Is MS Outlook also installed?

Jack B wrote:
Somehow I have messed up OE on the New pc.

At first, it did not open an Address Book. Upon clicking on
Address
Book
it
would say, "Unable to open Address Book. The Address Book
may
not be
installed properly."

Secondly, I cannot send a response or a new message. It
says,
"There
was
an
error opening this message. An error has occurred."

Apparently I need to reinstall it, but I can't even find it
via
Control
Panel/Add Remove Programs!

Jack

Old May 11th 10, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jack B

Steve,

set up a new Identity and add your accounts there and see that it works

Same problems with a new identity.

1) I keep getting "OE is not your default mail client" and I click the
box/button to make the default, and it seems like it takes but it really
doesen't.
2) Spell check fails to work.
3) Clicking email links on websites fails to work.
4) When I set up a new Identity, OE says it has found other to import
messages and addreess book from, but only offers the one combined choice of
Outlook, Windows Messaging, & something else, but, when I choose that, it
says something like "can't use that MAPI source" (not exactly those words).

So a new Identity has the same problems.

Jack

=============================

news The keys are in the registry, so you have to use regedit.

.

"Jack B" wrote in message
[...]

above

Old May 11th 10, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

For number 1 see www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx

For number 3 see www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx

steve

Steve,

"Jack B" wrote in message
[...]

above

Old May 12th 10, 05:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jack B

I cannot believe what just happened this morning.

My ENTIRE address book with 13 folders and 6 groups is suddenly my address
book!!!!!

This happened with me changing anything the past several days with the
exception of bringing in some "lost" emails from the Old pc.

This is a miracle!?!?!?!!!!!!

Jack

Old May 12th 10, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jack B

However, the miracle was not complete -- a number of the addresses are now
not up to date! How did this happen?!?

Jack

"Jack B" wrote in message
I cannot believe what just happened this morning.

My ENTIRE address book with 13 folders and 6 groups is suddenly my address
book!!!!!

This happened with me NOT changing anything the past several days with the

Old May 12th 10, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

[I still suspect you'd enabled Sharing with OL at some point in the past &
on the old computer.]