labels and Categories

Old August 15th 06, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
oceanmist

Default labels and Categories

I am getting confused between labels and categories. Can you give me some
ideas of how you use both labels and categories together. I keep wanting to
use labels for the things I should use categories for but I feel some
examples may help me.
Old August 16th 06, 02:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]

We are very confused about which version of Outlook your question relates
to. Please don't expect us to have ESP. People give their time here
freely. At least give us a few clues about your situation so someone can
answer you.

Judy Gleeson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Outlook
www.acorntraining.com.au

Old August 18th 06, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
oceanmist

"oceanmist" wrote in message
I am getting confused between labels and categories. Can you give me some
ideas of how you use both labels and categories together. I keep wanting
use labels for the things I should use categories for but I feel some
examples may help me.

sorry about that - I usually put it in the subject line but forgot. It is
Outlook 2003.
Old August 19th 06, 10:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]

Lables only exist in the Calendar. They are stripped when you send an
invitation to another person - so in my view they are a visual
representation of some aspect of your appointments for you to see. That's
all.

Categories are far more wide reaching as you can categorise emails, tasks,
calendar items, contacts, notes - anything!

You'll find many posts about using Category and then Grouping for Contacts
rather than making Distribution Lists.

In Tasks, I se Categories to show work that relates to each project or type
of work I am doing. My whole team can use the smae Categories and we can
send stuff to each other that's Categorised (each must add to own Master
Category List).

I use the rules wizard to categories incoming email. eg if it comes from a
sender with an address that includes @csiro.gov.au I put it in the csiro
category.

I hope that helps a bit!

Outlook version 2007 is going to be very different BTW.