Outlook should allow more than 2 years of calendar history!

Old July 24th 06, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
TGanges

Default Outlook should allow more than 2 years of calendar history!

For some strange logic that escapes me, the builders of Outlook have bulit
into the software a limit of two (2) years that the calendar will be saved.
Everything older than 2 years is automatically truncated. The user is thus
prevented from searching events, appointments, activities and all of the
other functions available in the Outlook Calendar. This is an unnecessary and
illogical feature. The calendar items actually are small in size compared to
the emails, which are generally huge in comparison to text documents.
Besides, if the user can save an unlimited amount of emails, assuming that
sufficient hard drive space is available, why not permit at least the same
facility with the calendar. My calendar of appointments, activities,
meetings, etc. is critical to me. I only discovered last year that everything
I'd dutifully being putting into my calendar (contact, meeting information,
etc.) had been summarily automatically deleted because of some arcane
assumption by Microsoft that we users don't need more than 2 years of
history. Is that the only history that Microsoft uses in its preparations and
research -- just two years?!

There are numerous functions and features about Outlook that I find
troublesome, but you REALLY need to fix this feature. Please know that the
ONLY reason I use Outlook and its features is because my university requires
its use. If I had a choice, I'd be using another family of software. Please
listen to us customers and make some extremely needed corrections. If we want
to cut out all calendar entries before two years ago, one could have that
feature installed as one which WE elect to TURN ON! Give the customer the
choice instead of mandating some standard that Microsoft considers
sufficient. PLEASE!!!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....calendari ng
Old July 25th 06, 02:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman

TGanges wrote:

For some strange logic that escapes me, the builders of Outlook have
bulit into the software a limit of two (2) years that the calendar
will be saved. Everything older than 2 years is automatically
truncated.

I believe you are mistaken. Unless you have autoarchive enabled, I don't
see how old data would be removed from your calendar.
--
Brian Tillman

Old July 25th 06, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Funny, I have 8 years of calendar items, some archived and others not. Not
an accurate description - more likely a configuration issue.

Making a suggestion to Microsoft to add a feature that has been there in all
versions of Outlook since Outlook 97 is not a good use of the suggestion
feature.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, TGanges asked: