vs 2007 (orcas) and migrated outlook 2003 shared add in solution problem

Old March 6th 07, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
semedao

Default vs 2007 (orcas) and migrated outlook 2003 shared add in solution problem

Hi,
I installed the vs 2007 on vista , with office 2007 ultimate.
I have work solution - shared add in (not vsto) for outlook 2003
when building the solution there are many errors when referenced :
Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library

Microsoft Outlook 12.0 Object Library

Should i install also office 2003 in this machine ?

or it's a bug , and how to solve it?

thanks

Old March 7th 07, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
semedao

Hi , still wait for some answer
I uninstall the vs 2007 and return back to vs 2005 pro with sp1 , but I have
the same problem.
Can't install the "Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies" without install
office 2003 , but I already have office 2007 in this machine , should I
install both on same machine?

other question: maybe it's better to convert the add in to support VSTO ,
but I want to create ONE add in both to office 2003 and 2007 , or , create 2
add ins , but be able to create one setup that will :
1 - check what version of outlook the user have
2 - download and install only the version that support the outlook version.

I already have a working shared add in , so I prefere to stay with it
any suggestions?
thanks

Old March 7th 07, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Since Orcas is a beta you really should be posting this in the beta group
for Orcas.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old March 7th 07, 06:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
semedao

Hi ken ,please read the second message that I post
the problem is not because of orcas
the problem is because I don't want to install office 2003 , there is a way
to have the interop without installation of office
or , if I install only outlook 2003 , can I develop both for outlook 2007 &
2003 in the same pc , can I choose to debug it once againts 2003 and once
againts 2007 ?

Old March 8th 07, 02:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

You cannot install both the PIA's for Outlook 2003 or 2007. Choose one or
the other. If you use Outlook 2003 PIA's you can run the addin in both
versions but only can use early binding on objects from Outlook 2003, for
Outlook 2007 you'd need to use late binding if you want to access specific
Outlook 2007 properties.

If you do that you cannot support the ribbon, which is in the mso.dll for
Office 2007 and you cannot support form regions or custom task panes.
Otherwise you can do 2 addins, one for Outlook 2003 and the other for 2007.

For ribbon support with Outlook 2003 you can take a look at entries in
Dennis Wallentin's blog, it's for Excel but the ribbon tlb can be used also
with any Office 2007 addin. The blog entries for the ribbon are at
http://xldennis.wordpress.com/2006/1...h-com-add-ins/

If you develop for Outlook 2003 PIAs you should be able to debug on an
Outlook 2007 system, the PIAs should be automatically used.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old March 8th 07, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
semedao

thanks
so , in case I already have the 2007 , can i Install only outlook 2003 ,
then install the 2003 PIA , and than continue the way you wrote?
or 2003 override some 2007 functionality ?

Old March 8th 07, 03:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

You cannot install 2 versions of Outlook on the same computer. You must
either develop from one or the other version. Or you can do what I do and
have separate virtual machine development environments for Outlook 2003 and
2007.

There are no shortcuts for this, you do one or the other. Unfortunately
that's the way Outlook and .NET are designed.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old March 9th 07, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
semedao

Hi ken , thanks again , but now we are in some look...
you wrote me previous: "If you develop for Outlook 2003 PIAs you should be
able to debug on an
Outlook 2007 system, the PIAs should be automatically used."

look at my situation..
I had xp sp2 with vs 2005 and outlook 2003 - and project that had shared
add in for outlook 2003 , the project can compile

now I move to vista and outlook 2007 , I want to debug the same project but
i am not able to do that because the project can't compile due to the
missing references (PIA for outlook 2003)
so , maybe there is no way to do that , but it'sbetter that people at ms
will know about this situation
thanks a lot

Old March 9th 07, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

You would have to use remote debugging from the machine where the Outlook
2003 PIA is or replace the reference to the Outlook 2003 PIA with a
reference to the Outlook 2007 PIA and rebuild to be able to debug locally on
that Outlook 2007 machine.

The code will run OK, but that's how you'd debug it. And MS knows that,
that's how it is.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]