Old June 16th 06, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
POP

Default FIXED; sort of Newsgroup link won't open IE; OE link will

Hi,
Actually, what I may have done is found a work-around, so to
speak.

Many thanks to all who posted with assistance and, may I say,
with a lot of good information. I've performed all the
recommended steps multiple time, all to no avail: Gettings links
or mailto: to work in newsgroups just never came back, although
e-mail links functioned perfectly.

Using OE, and not with OEQ or anything else:
Long story short, I basically created a new Identity and imported
as much as I could into the identity, checking at each step along
the way to be sure the links still worked in ng's. They're still
working.
But, during the process I did run into a failure trying to
Import the Exported e-mail accounts information. Of the 5 email
accounts, only ONE imported. All the rest resulted in a vague
error message, without any reference numbers etc., that the
import failed due to an error. Big help!
I never got that figured out. But, I did manually recreate all
of the email accounts into the new Identity successfully instead
of using the Import.
So, the annoyance is gone; that's "fixed".
The reason for the inability to Import the email accounts
though remains a mystery.
Just for grins, I tried using the old Main Account to Export
its mail accounts, then deleted that account, and tried to Import
it. The Import also fails with the main account. So, I suspect
there is still a problem sitting here somewhere, but no idea
where yet.

Any thoughts in this new direction? I'm not stopping work
because I'd STILL like to know what the failure mechanism was.

Final, NEW detail: I forgot to mention in my original problem
description, that I had used OE Backup freebie to backup the
accounts, and when I created the last new Identity, I ran into
the same problem I have now, but suspecting cockpit error, I
switched and used the OE Backup to Restore the email accounts
etc. into the new identity. That worked, or the program thought
it did at least, but of course the inability to click links in
ng's was still present.
The difference between then and what I just did was: First, I
used the new, OE Backup filled in identity to Export/IMport to a
new identity, which failed with the same ng problems.
This last time however, I made sure nothing related to OE
Backup, OEQ, etc., got into the picture, just to maintain
control, and I discoverd the rather useless mail account Import
error message when I tried to Import the mail accounts.
I don't -think- I've ever used OEBackup on that original main
identity, so ... maybe that means something: Beats me at this
momentg!!

So now the new question is, what's wrong with the Export/Import
functions that results in the Import error message and subsequent
failure to Import?

And, the additional question is:
Has anyone used OEBackup's Restore feature successfully or
unsuccessfully? If so, how many accounts/newsgroups were in it?
If there were problems, how did you react to them?

Thanks: Any and all related comments are most welcome.

Pop
Hmm, my Insert Signatures is greyed out; that's new since
yesterday, too. I'm currently using the "bad" identity for this
mail since I haven't found all the subscrips yet for the new
account.
--

---------------------------------

"POP" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen similar problems posted, and solved, but I can't get
past this one.

I can open links fine from OE, in an e-mail. IE starts and
goes to the page as it should.

In a newsgroup however, clicking a link results in nothing.
Screen doesn't blink, no error message; as if the click has
simply been ignored.
If I copy/paste the link into IE it works fine, as would be
expected.
Clicking a link in IE works as expected.
As posted though, clicking a link in a newsgroup fails
completely.

I've gone through the advice posted at the end of this post,
faithfully, with no success.

Scenario:
Initially clicking links had quit working, period, in IE or
OE.
I thought I'd gotten them to work with the below info, but it
was shortlived and soon clicking links had quit working again.
I created a new identity finally. When I realized my mails
etc. weren't coming over, I created an additional identity.
Using the first indentity I brought over all my addresses,
mail, etc. NOW I could click links in OE and have them work.
That still works. But I couldn't get them to work in
newsgroups.
Added a newsgroup (this one) to the second created identity,
left everything else alone (no wab, no imported dbx for mail,
etc).
STILL, could not click on a link in activate it in a
newsgroup.
Repeated the below steps this morning, on the first new
identity.
No change.

Everything's updated; XP/SP2+, Norton av, zone alarm, spybot,
adaware, winpatrol all find nothing wrong. All were checked
for updates prior to running.
Yes, I've rebooted, including cold boots; nothing.

There ARE some DHCP INFO flags in the System Log; no idea
whether that's relevant. It looks like they eventually succeed
after several tries.

I also have the following error message in the System Log:
DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to
start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the
server:
{BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

Which is new to me; I -think- that's Symantec, but I'm not
positive what it means. I have to read the MS referenced page
more closely to figure that one out, but I'm ass-u-me-ing it's
not the problem either. Famoust last words, I know.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have on this very annoying
problem. I may be missing something very basic, so ... don't
assume I'm an expert of any kind. I know just enough to be
dangerous.

OH: I also run OEQuotefix, but get the same problem with or
without it. Long time user, never had a problem with it
before.

TIA,

--------- TS steps tried ------------
Start | Run | type, or Copy/Paste, these in one at a time and
try again.
(Note the space in each command).

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

In IE, go to: ToolsInternet OptionsPrograms. Click: Reset Web
Settings - (uncheck box for homepage) - Click Yes.
---------------
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol (NOT
URL:Internet Shortcut)
and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct
and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should
have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the
same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.
ALL above were OK or successful. No help, on old identity, or
new identity.

--
Pop
I'm broke: Don't even ask!