Old June 16th 06, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
POP

Default Newsgroup link won't open IE; OE link will

Thanks, Steve; no joy though. BTW, I think regsv32 is missing a
letter "r", right?
Both registrations "took"; no error messages once I realized a
letter was missing form regsv.

Save and rename were no joy either, unfortunately.
I wasn't sure why you chose oehelp.com as an example link other
than to choose a simple one? I did use a short link of the
format you were suggesting. I even edited the file and changed
the link in it to http://www.oehelp.com.

I didn't mention, and doubt it's important, but mailto: links in
the newsgroups don't work either. They do work in email.

I'm cornfused! I'm going to go try creating another new identity
and instead of importing anything into it, I'll start adding one
newsgroup and one mail account manually and see what happens.
Again. Maybe it's something in one of the dbx files or the index
or whatever; I don't know that much about the operating structure
of OE but if I can "catch" it working, I might be able to get a
better target to chase.

I won't delete this borked account because it's got all my info
in it, and that's the one I'd rather get working, anyway. I'd be
nice to figure out exactly what the problem was caused by.
Famous last words, againg.

Any further suggestions most welcome.

Regards,
Pop

Steve Cochran wrote:
Try reregistering OE via:

"C:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /reg
and also try
regsv32 inetcomm.dll
And in Control Panel | Programs | Set Program access and
defaults, set OE default.
Also, if you have a NG message with a link such as
www.oehelp.com, then try saving it as a nws file and then
open it and see if the links work. If they don't rename
the file to eml and then open it and see if they work then.
steve

"POP" wrote in message
Hi all,
I've seen similar problems posted, and solved, but I
can't get past this one.
I can open links fine from OE, in an e-mail. IE starts
and goes to the page as it should.
In a newsgroup however, clicking a link results in
nothing. Screen doesn't blink, no error message; as if
the click has simply been ignored. If I copy/paste the
link into IE it works fine, as would be expected.
Clicking a link in IE works as expected. As posted
though, clicking a link in a newsgroup fails completely. I've
gone through the advice posted at the end of this
post, faithfully, with no success.

Scenario:
Initially clicking links had quit working, period, in
IE or OE. I thought I'd gotten them to work with the
below info, but it was shortlived and soon clicking links
had quit working again. I created a new identity
finally. When I realized my mails etc. weren't coming
over, I created an additional identity. Using the first
indentity I brought over all my addresses, mail, etc. NOW I
could click links in OE and have them work. That
still works. But I couldn't get them to work in
newsgroups. Added a newsgroup (this one) to the second
created identity, left everything else alone (no wab, no
imported dbx for mail, etc). STILL, could not click on
a link in activate it in a newsgroup. Repeated the below
steps this morning, on the first new
identity. No change.

Everything's updated; XP/SP2+, Norton av, zone alarm,
spybot, adaware, winpatrol all find nothing wrong. All
were checked for updates prior to running.
Yes, I've rebooted, including cold boots; nothing.

There ARE some DHCP INFO flags in the System Log; no idea
whether that's relevant. It looks like they eventually
succeed after several tries. I also have the following error
message in the System Log:
DCOM got error "The service database is locked. "
attempting to start the service netman with arguments ""
in order to run the server:
{BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} Which is new to me;
I -think- that's Symantec, but I'm
not positive what it means. I have to read the MS
referenced page more closely to figure that one out, but
I'm ass-u-me-ing it's not the problem either. Famoust
last words, I know. Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have
on this very
annoying problem. I may be missing something very basic,
so ... don't assume I'm an expert of any kind. I know
just enough to be dangerous. OH: I also run OEQuotefix, but
get the same problem with
or without it. Long time user, never had a problem with
it before. TIA,

--------- TS steps tried ------------
Start | Run | type, or Copy/Paste, these in one at a time
and try again. (Note the space in each command).

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

In IE, go to: ToolsInternet OptionsPrograms. Click:
Reset Web Settings - (uncheck box for homepage) - Click Yes.
---------------
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol (NOT
URL:Internet Shortcut) and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is
correct and use the double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you
should have: #1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be
the same. Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.
ALL above were OK or successful. No help, on old
identity, or new identity.

--
Pop
I'm broke: Don't even ask!