Old May 27th 11, 04:37 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Roy[_5_]

Default OE won't load

On May 27, 8:40*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
* * *THE PROBLEM

When my wife tries to access OE the splash loads but nothing else. *Task
manager shows msimn.exe is using 100% (or close to it) of CPU.

* * THE MACHINE

CPU - Athlon
OS - XP SP3
IE - 6.00.2900.5512.xpsp.080413-2111)
OE - 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)

* * WHAT I'VE TRIED

1. I restored a recent image from when I *thought* OE was OK. *No help

2. I restored an older image from when I *know* OE was OK. *No help

3. I moved all dbx files from the store. No help

4. Checked machine for malware...couple of tracking cookies, nothing else..
Removed cookies. *No help

5. I deleted msimn.exe from the Outlook Express folder so the system would
replace it from dllcache. *No help

6. I deleted *all* files *from the Outlook Express folder so the system
would replace them from dllcache. *No help

7. Tried an over the top install of XP but it faulted out, don't recall the
specific reason.

* * WHERE NOW?

Danged if I know. *Other than wipe the partition and reinstall XP which I
really don't want to do as her work place has installed stuff which would be
a nuisance to get back.

I could install a different mail client but she is used to OE and has
limited computer skills (limited = almost none). *Besides, I hate to be
thwarted and would like to find the problem and the fix. *The thing that
really puzzles me is why the problem persists after restoring a known good
image.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

--

dadiOH