Old April 3rd 10, 01:59 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine

Default NEED HELP SOON: Win7 Files & Settings Transfer Wiz & Office Outlook PST Mailboxes

As I said, your opinion has been duly noted. Your reply certainly explains
why you are confused and more than a little behind the times:
1. In fact, rules do transfer with the PST file. Exporting Rules separately
is no longer necessary.
2. Date modified is the relevant field for emails. It is changed by
importing.
3. Since you don't know what Activities are, they are links to other Outlook
Items for any given Contact Record within an information store. They are
broken when you export and import.
4. Appointments are imported, but they lose their connection to the Calendar
view when you import a PST file.
5. You appear to have no idea what the Outlook Address Book is. It is not
just another of the standard views of the Contacts Folder. It is a separate
MAPI view of electronic addresses pulled from the Contacts Folder. Users
rely upon it heavily when sending messages. It is irreparably broken when
you import a PST file.

I've wasted far more time in this reply than I have available. Believe
whatever you want. Just don't lead other users astray.Let the end users
decide for themselves what they want to do. Thank you for contributing your
opinion to the discussion.
--
Russ Valentine
"Leythos" wrote in message
om...
In article ,
says...

You appear to have some pressing need to validate and defend your own
experience. That experience is anecdote and should be recognized as such
for
the benefit of other readers of this thread.
The experience of many is far more valid than the experience of one. In
this newsgroup over the last 12 years we have confirmed that the
following
information is not transferred when you export and import a PST file:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views

Never tried, don't have any myself and don't have any customers with
custom forms and views and I'm betting that 90% of people out there
don't either.

3. Connections between contacts and activities

What activities?

4. Received dates on mail

Sorry, I see the date the email was received on every email that is
imported from a PST. Don't know how you are missing it - please try it
yourself.

5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar

All calendar items, appointments, such as Birth days, Anniversaries,
that I've entered or customers have entered, are imported fine.

6. Journal connections

Don't know anyone that uses this, so I can't comment.

7. Distribution Lists

Distro lists, as in ones created in Outlook, in your contacts folder,
are also imported properly, worked fine since Office XP that I know of.

8. Rules

This is misleading as the Rules are not exported in a PST, Outlook
includes a function to export rules and they import just fine.

9. Link between Contacts and the address book view, which cannot be
re-established until a new profile is created and the data migrated
properly.

Never seen or tried this, switching VIEW modes in contacts shows all
contacts in the different views.

If none of that information is important, then sure you can export and
import. Why you would want to remains a mystery, however, since simply
copying and opening the PST file is much easier and preserves all of the
above information.

You've listed a lot of things that are incorrect for an export/import
between different versions as well as from/to the same version.

The cardinal rule when providing advice in these groups is primum non
nocere. Your insistence that export and import is the best way to
transfer
Outlook data to a new installation violates that rule. Readers of this
thread should know that so they can make up their own mind on what they
want
to do. This is a public newsgroup. Your opinion is welcome but needs to
be
placed into context.

I have not insisted that Export/Import is the best anything, I've only
disputed what I've seen as incorrect. I don't maintain that either is
BEST, but I suggest you try each of the above items you list and come
back and let us know you were wrong.

Trust yourself.
(remove 999 for proper email address)