Old March 2nd 10, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Christine K.

Default configuring / comparing Outlook with OE

Hello DL,

Outlook Express may be dead, but Outlook 2007 apparently can't handle
something as basic as downloading email into separate email accounts as I
described Outlook Express is currently doing to this day. Outlook can't seem
to handle my five emails without dumping everything into one inbox, which is
what I would have expected from Microsoft if this was 1994 when email was
really just starting up.

The link to the site you provided in your post does not address any of the
specific issues I raised, so why did you provide it? I went to that site
before I posted to look specifically for the issues I posted about.

If you're not going to read my post and speak toward the issues I raised,
with all due respect, what's the point of you posting?

I'm sure and I'm hoping there are others out there who know how to help.

Thanks anyways, you were allot of help DL.

"DL" wrote:

OE is now dead, superceeded by WLM, OE doesnt have calander, tasks and other
information services.
Exchange is not going to do anything that you cannot allready do in Outlook,
once you have taken the trouble to configure it.
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/sortmail.htm
Scroll down to the bottom, 'Directly assign.............'

"Kristen K." wrote in message
Hello,

Hopefully I can find some help here. I'm currently in utter disbelief
with
this situation.

I just installed Outlook 2007, and I can't believe what a hassle it is.

I have been running Outlook Express for the last 12 years. I now have
five
email accounts, three that are for my business, one for bill pay purposes,
and another personal. I thought by now, since 1998 when I first started
using
Outlook Express, that Microsoft would have developed into Outlook the
basics
of a good functional email program, something that was a "step-up" from
Outlook Express, and so I decided to try Outlook. I have been told that
Outlook would give me better organization and efficiency when it comes to
my
email needs.

However so far it looks as if Outlook is waste of time compared to Outlook
Express. There appears to be no real efficient and organized way for me
separate my five email addresses and the associated email within Outlook
2007, as I have been able to do in Outlook Express.

With Outlook Express I was able to create five separate identities, one
for
each of my email addresses. I was able to then seamlessly switch back and
forth between email addresses in the blink of an eye with no problems.
Each
identity had its own inbox, outbox, sent folder, and deleted folder. For
organization, I could then also create dozens of individual sub-folders
and
name them accordingly as needed within each of my five identities.

Apparently none of this is really possible with Outlook 2007, at least not
in any way that is efficient and organized.

First, as I started to configure Outlook for my five email addresses, my
worst fears were realized. Outlook will only allow me to hit one
"send/receive" button, and then all of my email from my five different
email
addresses is dumped into one inbox. What a joke. Five email addresses
that
have no choice but to share the same inbox, outbox, sent & deleted
folders.
Who in their right mind would want to have their business email mixed up
with
their personal email and vice-versa, only to then have to spend the time
sort it out?

As I explored a little further, I found out that if I wanted to spend some
further time, I would have to set up some kind of "system of rules" for
each
email address, that would somehow direct my different email into different
folders...a further hassle.

I was hoping for a better, more organized and efficient email program,
only
I'm finding out that Outlook Express makes Outlook 2007 look inefficient
in
comparison. I could see if someone only had one email address, or did not
care about organization when it came to many emails coming and going each
day, then Outlook might be acceptable, but this is ridiculous. Who in
business only has one email address? Who doesn't care about organizing,
efficiency, and keeping separation between different email addresses?

I'm at a loss to where the benefit is for me to switch to Outlook from
Outlook Express, unless I'm missing something here, (which is possible
since
I'm new to Outlook).

Before submitting this post, I started searching this forum as well as on
the internet for answers, and was informed that if I wanted to start
paying a
monthly fee, I could pay for something called an "exchange server or
service"? Paying to have me email sorted or organized would be a further
rip
off. I also found a post that said I can set up separate "profiles", one
for
each email address, within Outlook that would give me some separation
between
email accounts, (which started to sound encouraging) but then the post
went
on to say in that order to switch from one profile to another within
Outlook,
I would need to actually shut-down and close-out the Outlook program
completely each time I wanted to switch between profiles. That isn't
efficient and doesn't make sense. So I wanted to see what this forum had
say before going through all that hassle first.

Is it unreasonable for someone in business to have five email addresses
and
want to be able to have some efficiency, separation, and organization with
the five email addresses?

How could Microsoft have blown it so bad on this one?

Of course I am comparing Outlook to Outlook Express where all the issues
I've raised don't produce not even a hiccup.

So what am I missing here with Outlook? Isn't Outlook supposed to be a
step-up and not a step-down from Outlook Express when it comes to
efficiency,
organization, and time savings? Isn't Outlook supposed to be "better"
than
Outlook Express for someone who needs some functionality?

I was told this is the forum to come to? ? ? Please Help.

in utter disbelief,

Christine K.

.