Old January 24th 09, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Default retrieving lost e-mail from compacting

I wouldn't even open OE until you've run DBXpress, Pat.

Pat D wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion. Should I continue to block compacting until
have run the utility and have the files back?

Your best hope is to purchase this utility & run it in extract from disk
mode:

DBXpress
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

Consider yourself lucky if you recover any of the missing data.

Avoiding Such Corruption in Futu

- Purchase a reliable UPS & keep it fully charged.

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt
to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic
Compacting is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional
protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Pat D wrote:
-- A few days ago I had a power outage while OE 6 was in the process of
compacting my mail folders. I have several personal folders and
sub-folders
that I have set up for my e-mail messages. After power was restored,
approximately half of my folders were empty. I spent a couple of days
trying to find out what happened and finally came across this discussion
and a couple of others. I followed the suggested steps and was able to
recover some of my messages. I no longer have any .bak files, either in
the Recycle Bin or in the message store; however, I have noticed that
there
are .dbx files for my empty folders in message store and they are not
empty; e.g. 136 KB, 692 KB, 1.15 MB, etc. but they are not transferring
into OE. One other thing I noticed is that all the .dbx files have
today’s date. I have not allowed OE to compact again, hoping to clear
up
this problem. What should I do now? Any suggestions and help will be
appreciated.
Thanks, Pat D