Old January 23rd 09, 11:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Pat D

Default retrieving lost e-mail from compacting

-- A few days ago I had a power outage while OE 6 was in the process of
compacting my mail folders. I have several personal folders and sub-folders
that I have set up for my e-mail messages. After power was restored,
approximately half of my folders were empty. I spent a couple of days trying
to find out what happened and finally came across this discussion and a
couple of others. I followed the suggested steps and was able to recover
some of my messages. I no longer have any .bak files, either in the Recycle
Bin or in the message store; however, I have noticed that there are .dbx
files for my empty folders in message store and they are not empty; e.g. 136
KB, 692 KB, 1.15 MB, etc. but they are not transferring into OE. One other
thing I noticed is that all the .dbx files have today’s date. I have not
allowed OE to compact again, hoping to clear up this problem. What should I
do now? Any suggestions and help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Pat D