Old January 12th 09, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Default How do I transfer Outlook contents to new computer?

Whether or not these files acquire a read only attribute depends on how you
transfer them. The easiest thing to do is simply examine their properties
once you have copied them to your destination hard drive and remove any read
only attribute they may have acquired.
Once you have done that, you will be able to open them in the new
installation of Outlook using File Open Outlook data file... At that
point you have 2 choices:
1. Copy the data you need from the old PST file to the new one that Outlook
creates at startup.
2. Just keep using your old file by designating it as the default data file
for the new installation, restarting Outlook, then closing the new
(presumably empty) data file created by the new installation.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"pshapiro" wrote in message
Forgive my lack of sophistication, but allow me to repeat this in simple
words. I should go back and copy the files (the ones that are ordinarily
"hidden" files, which I made visible) from within Outlook that are called
Outlook.pst and archive.pst. I will copy these to my external hard disk
(which I only use as a back-up, by the way). Do I need to remove the
"read-only" attribute when I copy them to the hard disk?

Then, once I have copies these files onto the hard disk, I will disconnect
it from the old laptop (XP SP3 running Outlook 2003 SP3), hook it up to
the
new one (Vista Ultimate v 6.0 SP1, running Outlook 2007 SP1), and then do
open it directly from the external hard disk, or do I copy it from the
external disk onto the internal hard disk before opening it. Also, how do
"open" it. Just go to File/Open? I am already using the new laptop, so I
have some (but not many) Personal Folders and contents thereof on the new
laptop. Will these survive, and I can just reshuffle old emails, etc.,
within the various personal folders and delete ones I don't need after all
is
done?

Just so I'm clear, my main need here is to bring in my old Outlook
folders,
esp. the old Sent Items, archived folders, and old Personal Folders where
I've sorted various emails over the years. These are BIG folders, as I
get
lots of emails with big attachments.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Two things:
1. You forgot to remove the read only attribute the files acquired from
being on a CD
2. You imported. Never import Outlook data. Just open the file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"pshapiro" wrote in message
I followed the link, copied the files from my old computer (with Outlook
2003) called backup.pst (that I created by exporting in the old
Outlook)
and
archive.pst -- I copied them onto an external hard disk, then hooked up
the
hard disk to my new computer. When I tried to import them into Outlook
(2007) on the new computer (Vista), I got a message saying "File access
denied. You do not have permission required to access the file
F:\backup.pst". I also tried just to follow the "Open" command in
Outlook,
and I got the same message. Same message also appeared when I tried to
open
the archive.pst alone.

What am I doing wrong?

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

It can be used but we recommended upgrading to the new pst format.
See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Whitestone" wrote in message
I have read the How To link several times and it seems to address
moving
data
from same version to same version. I want to move all data from
Outlook
2002
SP3 to Outlook 2007 (new laptop). I assume (#*!) that the 2002 pst
file
has
changed structure and can not be used in 2007. What is the proper
procedure
to get my data safely and completely transferred?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

For the record: you never import Outlook data unless you want to
change
it
or lose it. Use the instructions in the link, not the one from mrb.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"mrb" wrote in message
I used this to transfer between outlook 2003 and 2007 (copy the
pst
on
the
old machine / version and import it like a restore and it worked
fine.

"DL" wrote:

See if this helps
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

"Sarah" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a new computer and need to transfer my outlook over
from
my
laptop.
Am using 2003, which is installed on my new computer also.
I've
been
searching these q&a's, and see that I will need to "copy to a
pst
file"?
What
is this, where do I find it, and how to I execute it??? And
if
any
of
you
clever people choose to help me, you will have to talk
r-e-a-l-l-y
s-l-o-w-l-y, as I'm very sorry, but I don't speak your
language.
--
Regards,
Sarah